Thursday, September 9, 2010

Favorite Things Friday - Coen Brothers Flicks

I love movies.  Who doesn't?  While I enjoy just about every genre except horror movies, some of my favorites are of the quirky, darkly comedic, and slightly twisted kind, best exemplified by brothers Joel and Ethan CoenRaising Arizona was the first Coen brothers movie I ever saw, and I laughed my butt off. 

One of the things I love most about Coen brothers films is the dialogue—witty, ironic, obscure.  I knew I was going to love O Brother from one of Ulysses Everett McGill's (George Clooney's) first lines, as he queries a forlorn group of hobos on the train while wearing prison shackles and chains:
Say, any of you boys smithies?  Or, if not smithes per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?
There are so many other great lines that come to mind from just that film.  I have friends and family who can quote much of The Big Lebowski, a cult classic.

Here are my top five favorite Coen brothers movies:

1.  O Brother, Where Art Thou?
2.  The Big Lebowski
3.  Fargo
4.  Raising Arizona
5.  ??

Okay, that's really only my top four, but only because the rest that come to mind are probably all equally deserving of the number five spot--Barton Fink, A Serious Man, The Ladykillers, Burn After Reading, etc.  And I still haven't seen No Country for Old Men.

Do you have a favorite Coen brothers movie, and, if so, a favorite line?

12 comments:

Miri said...

I totally agree-the Coen Brothers movies are great and Oh Brother is simply wonderful-just the music is so special. DS studied the Coen Brothers movies in a uni film class!!

Larri said...

I enjoy the Coen brothers movies too. And a little trivia for you...O, Brother, Where Art Thou? was filmed in part on my cousins' land in Mississippi, just outside Jackson. :o) Visiting from FTF. Thanks for sharing. Happy Friday! :o) Larri at Seams Inspired

Shay said...

I LOVED Fargo ( we have it on DVD ). So dark , but so enjoyable. Dont the Coen borthers alwasy pick such fantastic actors for their movies?

And I love that you picked this as your Favourite Things Friday. Thanks for sharing this with us. (I always feel like I get a greater sense of the person behind the blog with your FTF posts)

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Now I am a big Tarantino fan so it looks like I will have to branch out and check out some more movies, they look right up my alley :-)

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Oddly enough, I never quite enjoyed their movies. I never thought they were bad, but despite going in and thinking I'd like them, I was left disappointed. I still can't quite figure out why but no matter, you like em and so do many others! :D

Marg said...

I can't say I love them or dislike them, as sad to say the only one I've seen is Fargo, and that was great. However I am going to make amends and check out some more. Thanks for making the list, I think I'll either start with Oh Brother (George Clooney-swoon) or The Big Lebowski.

Michelle said...

I haven't seen any of these movies, although I've heard good things about Oh Brother. I almost watched The Big Lebowski this past summer though, but my DVD recorder was giving me problems and I didn't get it recorded. Since you've given these movies high marks, I'll have to be sure to see them when I get the opportunity.

SueWis said...

Haha, Fargo, yes. I'm afraid to watch No Country for Old Men.

Elizabeth said...

Fargo wasn't one of my favorites, but Raising Arizona was so funny and O, Brother, Where Art Thou? was amazing (we have it on DVD). George Clooney is completely suited to his part, or maybe it is the other way around. Despite his performance in that BatMan movie, he can, in fact, act and O, Brother proves it. He carried off the dialogue perfectly. Yes, Coen Brothers movies are awesome. I think I'll put on O, Brother during my sewing time today (hand sewing b/c Grace isn't back home yet).

xo -E

seabreezequilts said...

I've seen Fargo and that is about it. Wondered what O, Brother was all about might try and get it on DVD and watch it.

AnnieO said...

I couldn't handle No Country for Old Men but your #1 is mine too--O, Brother. We watch that movie all the time and constantly quote it. Heard at the dinner table this week: "Them Sirens did it!" I even got the soundtrack and love it a lot.

Helsie said...

I also have only seen Fargo and loved it too. So dark but funny too. I had never heard of the Coen brothers before that.
I'll keep a look out for those other titles in the future
Cheers
Helen