Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sunday Sundry - Vol. 6

It's Sunday, and you know what that means.  A new episode of Mad Men tonight!  Seriously, MM fans, wasn't last week's episode just the best?  I watched it twice, it was so good.

And it's time once again for a Sunday Sundry post, where you never know what you're going to get.  Or maybe you do by now.  Odds are good there will be some kind of a Pyrex reference, right?  Let's just go ahead and get that out of the way then, shall we?

After last week's flea market, I was in a bit of a quandary about where to go with my newly acquired pieces.  I have a shelf I've been using, but it was getting full and I had Pyrex spilling over onto the floor underneath the shelf.  Ugh, I like collections but not clutter.  Once that line is crossed, some kind of anti-hoarder early warning system alarm goes off in my head (thank heavens), and I have to take stock and reconsider things.

So I spent some time rearranging and was able to squeeze everything on the shelves—barely.  I made a mental note to cool it on the Pyrex acquisition for a while, at least until I could come up with an alternative storage/display plan.

Well, that lasted a day or two.  Then I found myself in a thrift store.  A thrift store that was moving soon.  One that was having a "1/2 Off Everything!" sale.  And there was Pyrex.  Did I mention it was HALF OFF?  I did restrain myself from buying anything bigger than this little bowl, a remarkable feat of self control, if I do say so.  It was marked $2.49, meaning it really cost me less than $1.25.  And it will still fit on the shelf!

I made another gathered clutch on Saturday.  The main fabric is a piece Jenny swapped me several weeks ago.  I just love it!

On my way home from running errands one day this week, I stopped at a rummage sale in my neighborhood.  A few interesting items made their way home with me, including this still-sealed promotional deck of playing cards from a local dry-cleaning business back in the day.  I like the retro graphics on both the front and the back (see top photo above).  The business has since changed hands and name.  Hmm, I wonder why?

Also bought some sew-on patches at the rummage sale.  I have no idea what I'll do with them, but they looked interesting and fun.  Spiro must be from either the '68 or '72 election.  I was way too young to vote then, but I do remember the Nixon-Agnew years and not in a good way.  The music of that era was great, though.  Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, et al.  Woodstock happened in '69.  Have you seen the movie Taking Woodstock (2009)?  I liked it.  Not what I expected, but fun.

Finally, this.  A year ago, I opened a bag of yarn belonging to my late mother, and wept.  I stood there looking at some of her favorite colors, the raw materials of a craft she so enjoyed, thinking about all the pretty things she made and gave to others, and that there would be no more.  It was all there when I opened that tattered bag, but she was gone.

When I went to work on Thursday evening, this was on my desk.

It was a gift from a coworker to whom I had given my mom's yarn, someone who knitted and crocheted—skills that had apparently skipped a generation with me.  And there was this note:

I love that she used her grandmother's favorite pattern and some of mom's yarn to make this, bringing the past into the present in a beautiful scarf.  This time, I could only smile.

Thanks for visiting today.  I hope the week ahead gives you much to smile about! 

8 comments:

Jane said...

What a beautiful scarf and how nice of your coworker to make it for you out of your mom's yarn. What a keepsake!
Love the Pyrex too. You have quite a collection!
Jane

SueWis said...

What a wonderful post. If I saw that sweet bowl for half price I would have bought it too. Love your clutch, very cute. And one of my favorites is Smokey the Bear. And the scarf is a very precious gift. Thanks for sharing!

Michelle said...

First of all, Roxanne is so sweet to make you a scarf with part of your mom's yarn. Secondly, you've made another lovely clutch. Couldn't help but notice the pinky-salmon fabric running across the center as I have the same fabric in periwinkle. Thirdly, how could you not buy at least one Pyrex at half off? And lastly, the cards and the patches are just very cool.

Sarah Craig said...

Mmmmm, your Pyrex collection makes me want to go out and get some myself! It looks so pretty and fresh on the shelves like that! Your clutch is sweet, and the scarf your friend made is perfect! What a lovely gift for you to have to remember your mom by! I love Sunday Sundry!!

Jenny said...

the clutch looks great. i need to pull the rest of that fabric out and use it too!
love your new scarf!

Shay said...

Good Grief P, your Pyrex is going to take over your house. I had no idea you had acquired so much!

You dont need to stop collecting. You just need another shelf.

Your scarf story nearly made me cry. what a lovely thing for your co-worker to do.

madge said...

Look at the sun coming through the windows onto the Pyrex...talk about a heavenly collection! :)

Elizabeth said...

I didn't get the crochet gene either. My mom does beautiful things, but not me. That was so sweet of your friend to make that scarf for you. It is very pretty.

Also, I like how you've arranged the Pyrex. However, it looks like you're going to have to add a room onto the house for your collection (I'm reading you backwards -- good grief! How did I miss a whole week?). Thanks for another fun Sunday Sundry.

xo -E