Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Featured Artist

I am so happy to share one of my daughter's art pieces with you today.  Meet Thimble, an elf/gnome character my daughter just finished as a trade with a fellow artist.  I think it's awesome!

My daughter has a gift for drawing, ever since she first doodled a realistic looking fish on a napkin when she could barely hold a crayon.  Since then she's filled many a sketchbook with her drawings and has done trades and commissions.  She's in her early twenties and has lived on her own for a few years now.  I miss being able to sit on the edge of her bed and have her show me her latest creations.  

So I was delighted to get an email from her this past weekend where she attached the line drawing of this piece.  She said, "Working on it made me think of you."  Aw...how sweet is that?

She sketches on paper, then outlines the image in ink and scans it into her computer.  From there she can bring it up in whatever software she uses and add color and shading.

Be sure to click on the image to see the details.  

I have always been amazed by the level of detail in her art and her ability to get the dimensions just right. She was born with eye problems (alternating esotropia, a form of strabismus, and amblyopia, to use the big words).  From the time she was just a couple months old, we had to patch one eye, then the other.  She also had prescription glasses since before she could walk, but as anyone with children knows, you put something on a baby's head and they will remove it and try to eat it.  So that didn't work very well.  There were also eye exercises through early toddlerhood.  All of these things helped, but she did not develop the normal stereoscopic vision that you and I have.  Nevertheless, her brain learned to compensate very well for any deficit.  Just don't bother taking her to a 3D movie.


M. and  boyfriend T.
M., I know you read this and I hope I haven't embarrassed you too much.  You are such a lovely and talented young woman and we are so proud of you.  Thanks for letting me share your artwork here.

8 comments:

Shay said...

That is AMAZING! (And the artist is gorgeous too)

I love the detail in that rendering.She even has knuckles!

Fabulous. What a talented person your daughter is. Thanks for letting Mom share this M!

SueWis said...

You have a VERY talented daughter. And you sound like a very proud mom. Her artwork is beautiful and very unique. I hope she continues to create. :)

Sarah Craig said...

That is so very cool! Your daughter has an amazing talent!! I wonder where she gets her creativity from...... dumb question!!

Jenny said...

how very very lovely!

Michelle said...

The little elf sitting on the pumpkin pincushion is just adorable! You do have one very talented daughter. I'm so glad she let you share this. Maybe she'll show us more in the future?

Anonymous said...

So if our kids have all this talent, how come they aren't supporting us in the matter to which we could quickly become accustomed?

Thanks for sharing! It's adorable. I love the needles with thread, and her little earings. Too cool!

Kathy S. said...

This is amazing! She did such a good job. I can see why she thought of you when she was drawing this. Those ears are exactly like yours! :)

Elizabeth said...

Oh, my goodness. That is so darling! I wish I had a real pixie to sit on my pincushion. Your daughter is very talented. I loved hearing about your relationship with her.

xo -El