Wednesday, October 6, 2010

FMQA - Pebbling

The subject of the free motion quilt along this week was "pebbling."  Which, in my case, translates to somewhat of a Rocky Horror Picture Show, viz:

My rock wall left a lot to be desired.  Good thing I'm not planning a career in bricklaying.

And it had gone so well on paper...


So I tried some pumpkins.  Better.

The maniacal monkeys quilted pretty much like I'd doodled them, but with less control.

My face probably looked like this too about that time.


The Led Zeppelin song "Kashmir" was on my mind as I doodled.  I decided to play it (loud) while I quilted.  It was incredible!

After all, what is pebbling without rock?

Check out this version.  It's Alice in Chains (not Messrs. Page and Plant this time) with a symphony orchestra.  I bet it was the highlight of this conductor's year.  He is into it!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Omigod! I don't see how you could even begin to concentrate on your FMQ while listening to this. It was so totally awesome, especially with the orchestra behind it.

Okay, and it's probably sacrilegious to say this, but I think this singer did it better than the original. However, that's not a slam on the original--it was wonderful--but this was just freakin' outstanding.

Your FMQ is coming along wonderfully. I've never tried pebbling--yet--but I had a feeling it might be particularly challenging.

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Our daughter and hubby went to see Alice in Chains at Red Rocks near Denver last night. They said it was great! Your musical taste and sense of humor would fit in very well at our house:)

As usual, your quilting looks great and I'm still very far behind.

Anonymous said...

I liked your maniacal monkeys. I think I look like that on a daily basis. I admit I'm envious of your FMQ.

The video was awesome! I agree with Michelle that I think it was better than the original. I'm not sure if Ed has every listened to Zeppelin, but if I show him this he'll probably not appreciate it as much as I did. He'll probably just sit and critique the conductor. (The joys of being married to a classically trained musician.)

The pianist was getting into it, too. It reminded me of when we went to see the Prague Symphony (not in Prague, though). The timpanist was this young guy with a bright red mohawk. He bobbed all over the place. We called him Rooster Boy. He was awesome and very entertaining to watch. One of our favorite family events for sure!

Shay said...

Gawd...you make me feel so slack . I havent even started practice.

I think your pebbles look pretty good for a pebble virgin.

"My face probably looked like this too about that time". You crack me up P.

Miri said...

I think your pebbling looks pretty good...now imagine it in white thread on white fabric...see its good-all your pebbles touch each other.

Love the monkeys!

Elizabeth said...

P. you totally rock! I can't believe I just said that. After I wrote it, I was like, "Oh, I'm so punny!" Love the Alice in Chains version of Kashmir. Led Zeppelin is awesome! I'm so behind on the FMQ-Along. I've gotten distracted. Need to get back to it!

xo -El