Thursday, November 11, 2010

Stacked Coins Baby Quilt

A friend's son and daughter-in-law are expecting their first baby the end of this month—a boy—and I figured I better get my rear in gear and quilt the top I finished in early September.  Actually, it wasn't just pure procrastination; it was procrastination for a reason.  I wanted to get some free motion quilting practice under my belt before I attempted stippling this quilt.

Enter the Free Motion Quilt Along by Christina at A Few Scraps.  Perfect timing!  I hopped on board that train and road along the learning curve all the way up to our current stop, Stippling 101, where we are experiencing a momentary layover.

But that's okay, because stippling is exactly where I wanted to be and what I wanted to do on this baby quilt.  I practiced on my Spiderweb Halloween table topper, then practiced a bit more on my practice quilt for the quilt-along.  Finally, on Monday, I basted this baby (quilt) together, and away I went!

Oh, there are some stitch length issues and a few mountain peaks where there should be meandering curves, but overall I'm happy with how it turned out.

I did a pieced backing, since I had enough strips cut anyway.  I like a little something extra on the back of a quilt, don't you?

It's mostly from stash, except the Kona cream (I don't know the official color name).  I was trying to come somewhat close to what may or may not be the mom-to-be's nursery theme.  I think there are giraffes and leaves involved anyway.  I was fresh out of giraffes but had a bunch of leafy prints.  The gray/white/black print is a vintage piece I've used in probably way too many things already, but I love it.

Now all this quilt needs is a little baby boy nestled in the middle.  As Tom Petty said, "The way-aiting is the hardest part!"

I'll be linking to AmyLouWho's Sew & Tell Friday.  Click on over to see the other great finishes this week!

19 comments:

SueWis said...

Nice job! I love the pop of that aqua blue.

Sarah Craig said...

P., it's beautiful! Your stippling is just right - you nailed it!! And I absolutely love the colors and that vintage piece of fabric!

Carla said...

What wonderful colors and fabrics used! It's a simple pattern but makes such a wonderful impact!

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

I love the colors you used on your quilt, what a lucky baby!!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Love it! Your practice paid off.

KristyLou said...

I love that quilt! I have been wanting to make something similar. The blues and greens are very cool looking. Not too babyish, so it can grow with the little guy.

Jane said...

Another gorgeous quilt!! That should definitely be an heirloom for your friend's son and DIL!
Jane

trish said...

Great job!!
Sincerely - Tricia

Leslie said...

this is gorgeous...you are doing a great job with the stippling. i could not see a single thing there that did not look awesome,

Leslie said...

This is perfect! I love the colors you used and that family that is receiving it are very blessed! I have a quilt like this on my to do list, oh and I love your backing how you peiced it!

Trisha said...

Lucky little baby! Your free-motion is really nice.

Elizabeth said...

Wow! So beautifully done! Your stippling is gorgeous! And love, love, love the stacked coins. The colors are fabulous! Hooray for you!

xo -El

Dianne said...

Oh! This turned out so beautiful! I made this quilt in October to donate to a benefit and used pink, girlie fabrics. I love seeing this in boy fabrics, because I'm having a boy in February and was thinking of making one for myself. ;-) You did a great job on the machine-quilting, too. I hadn't done any yet when I made it, so I just straight stitched around the outside of each of the long strips of fabric. It looked nice, but I love how yours looks with the machine-quilting! What a wonderful gift for a sweet baby boy!

p.s.phyllis sews said...

Wow! I am impressed with your quilting. The stippling is so fun and the stitch length is THE challenge to control. I love the colors you picked, too.

Shay said...

I love it P! The colours, the layout and the quilting. Oh my that quilting is AMAZING.

I have my FM lesson today, so there is hope that at some point, in the distant future I will be able to show something half as pretty !

Diane said...

Great job! Love the colors and the quilting looks great!

Michelle said...

Gorgeous! The color scheme is just so pretty, and the stippling looks terrific. All of your FMQ paid off. :-) Lucky baby. :-)

Kristen said...

Nice quilting! Such a great boy quilt. Lucky boy!
Too funny... I thought the vintage gray was Monaluna Mingle for RK!

Miri said...

Gorgeous colors and terrific meanderings!