Friday, December 3, 2010

Favorite Things Friday - Repo Man

I ordered Ray LaMontagne's new CD from Amazon.com this week, and it came in the mail yesterday.  Took it along in the car with me to visit my dad last night, shoved it in the player, and presto, I had a new favorite song.  

"Repo Man" is six minutes of funkified blues that reminds me of a vintage Allman Brothers jam with a less spastic Joe Cocker-esque vocal.  But that doesn't really do the song or Ray LaMontagne justice.  You'll have to see for yourself.



I realize musical tastes vary, as do internet connection speeds, and the last thing I want you to be is frustrated over a herky-jerky video.  So here's a tip that you may already know, or not.  If you get stops and starts on video playback, do this:  Click play to start the video, then click pause.  Allow the very faint pink line (not the red one) that's visible below the picture to move all the way across the bar to the right.  What is happening is that the video is continuing to load into your computer's cache while in the pause mode.  When the pink line is all the way on the right side, then click the play button.  You should now be able to watch from start to finish without the frustrating jerks and pauses.

And in case you aren't interested in the music, here's another favorite thing.  

I saved this card I received about 15 years ago just because I loved the scrappy 9-patch quilt illustrated on the front.  I'm going to make this quilt some day.  What do you think—6-inch finished 9-patch blocks set on point?

Click the button for other favorite things linked over at Quilting in my Pyjamas!  Happy Friday, all!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi P. I love Ray LaMontagne. My favorite song is Trouble. And thanks for the tip on the video playing because that does frustrate me to no end and I didn't know that. I love love love that quilt. I would have saved that, too.

Anonymous said...

Cute card. Great music. Thanks for sharing.

Pokey said...

Yes it would be a sweet quilt, those little 9 patches are a favorite. My folks had one in sea foam sashing, I remember loving it as a child, too.

So, your video share had Larry and I enjoying this guy's music! Larry even went to you tube and watched some other pieces. Thanks for the share!

Kate said...

I do like the intro, love the guitar. My guy heard it and came to check it out. He said he'd heard about the CD, but didn't know it was that good. (Christmas gift idea maybe, so thanks).

Love the card too. Would be a fun quilt to make.

Michelle said...

Whoa! That is one down and dirty, funky song. Love it! Does remind me of Joe Cocker.

Adorable 9 patch. Yep 6" and on point.

Shay said...

You have some very eclectic muscial tastes P. Thats some pretty fancy guitar playing in that song. I havent heard of this artist but I think he may be someone Mr. P would enjoy a lot !

Miri said...

Love the card and the music! Definitely 6" blocks...I just love 9 patch quilts!

Miri said...

BTW-not everyone buries their threads after machine quilting...there's debate about it. I'm just sure that if I ever just snipped, the whole thing would unravel! :)

Elizabeth said...

I love the inspiration for the nine-patch quilt. That will be so beautiful! And thanks for the great music.

xo -El

Larri said...

I hadn't heard of this music artist before today. He's fabulous! Thanks for sharing. :o)

I love the idea of sewing a quilt inspired by this card. I'm sure however you create it, it will be beautiful! Happy FTF and Happy Sunday! :o)

PS...How's everyone in the Redwood Forest today? Compared to yours, I live in the Hobbit Village. LOL! ;o)