Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sunday Sundry - Vol. 27

Look what greeted me outside my kitchen window this morning!  

I laughed and wondered who would have sneaked into my backyard in the middle of the night and painted this lovely heart in the snow?  The mystery was soon solved when Norm woke up, trying hard to stifle a grin.  Those of you who know us in real life may be in a mild state of shock right now (as am I).  What a sweetie!

More Pleasant Surprises
There was a package on the porch when I pulled in the driveway late yesterday morning.  It was my whirlygig Christmas quilt that Angie at 5 Little Monkeys had finished longarm quilting.  Squee!!  It's so pretty!  

She quilted it in little vintage Christmas ornaments, which is perfect with the retro theme of this quilt. Now I just have to bind it and it'll be done.  If you need something longarm quilted, I highly recommend Angie.  She was fast too!  

One Gal's Scraps is Another One's Pleasure
Jenny wanted to get rid of scraps, and I offered to take some off her hands.  She packed a flat rate envelope and sent it on its way, and I tell ya, getting it was just like Christmas!

I was giggling and squealing like a two-year-old  when I started to pull out the various scraps and strings.  I love scraps!  Oh, the possibilities!

Pioneer Woman, I am Not
I have been trying to clean out the pantry and freezer this month, inspired by Shay at Quilting in My Pyjamas and her Frugal Grocery February. It has made for some interesting, but decent, meals.  For instance, there was lentil stew on a bed of quinoa.

And chicken a la king.  I had some baby spinach that needed to be used, so I sauteed that and threw it in too. 

I am no Pioneer Woman when it comes to food photography.  It is what it is.

Today I'm making a turkey, which was a freebie at Thanksgiving, but I didn't have to cook dinner then.  We've invited my daughter and her boyfriend and my dad over to help us eat it and celebrate Valentine's Day early.  Dad's bringing the wine.  Yay!

P&P
The Pride & Prejudice marathon began yesterday at my friend Kathy's house.  We had a nice breakfast and then watched two episodes.  

This is the version with Colin Firth as Darcy.  Kathy's our resident expert on all things Jane Austen.  She prepped us beforehand on relevant historical and social nuances.  Good to know.  

Even Zack watched along with us.  Good boy!  The marathon continues in March.  I'm enjoying it immensely.

Kathy's son is in a band that just released a new CD.  They're called Book Club.  You can hear the songs on their website HERE.  Awesome!

Aw, Shirt!
I'm working away on Muslin #2 for the Men's Shirt Sew-Along, and it has been a learning experience.  Despite the frustration and exercise in patience it has been, I think it's worth the effort to give time and thought to the various fitting issues.  How will I ever learn, otherwise?  Even though it's basically involving remaking a men's shirt into a women's shirt.  

You know the tightness across the seat in back that I mentioned?  I figured something out.  It's not originating from the lower part of the back.  It actually is happening because the front is too tight in the chesticular area, and that is causing it to pull across the seat (and make the front hike up).  Here is what I mean.  

This is the front.  See those diagonal creases?  They point from the boobage to the hipage.  This is a men's shirt, which is cut flat in the chest, whereas I am not.  I believe the solution would be to do a FBA (full bust adjustment) in the shirt front, and that will hopefully also take the pressure off the side seam at the hip.

And the new collar turned out great (yes, those are two different fabrics...this is not a wearable muslin).  Happy dance!

That's all the news that's fit to print this Sunday here at TWISI.  Have a great week, all.  And Happy Valentine's Day!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww. N is sweet! I like P&P, but not the new one. K.K. talks with such a stiff jaw that I can't stand to watch her. Of course, Sense and Sensibility is my favorite (I think I've mentioned that before -- numerous times). :D

Jenny said...

how romantic!! love that heart!

and speaking of romance...P&P! hope you love it

Sara said...

He scored some brownie points with that heart:) Pride and Prejudice never have seen it. Hope you enjoy it!

Elizabeth said...

What a sweet Valentine! Awww!

OK, so love all the technical terms you've been using with the shirt sew-along. Oh, and that new collar totally rocks! Great job!

Angie did a really great job with your whirly-gig quilt. But she had great material (no pun intended) to work with. Can't wait to see it done. Way to get your Ph.D's done early.

xo -El

SueWis said...

What a sweet hubby you have! And I still think you can wear that muslin. Those fabrics coordinate. ;)

I want to make a whirlygig quilt. Did you use the plastic template?

Keetha Broyles said...

How did he DO that cupid's heart in the snow???? It looks PERFECT!

We are WAY TOO WARM here today - - - I'm not ready for our snow to begin the shrinking/melting process yet!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

That's a whole bunch of good stuff in one post!

Love the quilting on your quilt!

Shay said...

Gosh where to start with this post - The heart is very cute! I take it you were completely shocked.

LOVE the whirlygigs quilt - Angie did a fabulous job but the whole quilt is darling. (I've always loved that quilt!)

A scrap squishy is one of the best parcels ever. Look at all those colours! Cant wait to see what you do with them. I love scrappy quilts.

Laughing at "chesticular". I'm pretty sure you just invented a word. Go you!

Love your frugal meals. I have to go google quinoa now. Enjoy the turkey. And the wine.

Sarah Craig said...

What a great hubby! Aren't those unexpected romantic gestures the best? Your quilt is fabulous, I'm totally jealous of your scrap package, and I'm really impressed with how much you're learning on your shirt!! Keep it up!!

Kathy said...

Wow! Norm did that? So what did he do that he needed to butter you up? :) I can't tell from the picture, but is that heart ginormous? Did he do this in the dark? Just when you think you know someone.... Thanks for the Book Club plug and Zak's picture!

SixBalloons said...

P., that is so sweet, the heart in the snow! Also love that barcode Pyrex. Looks fantastic with that yummy meal in it.

Michelle said...

Awww. Norm's heart in the snow is so sweet. :-)

Ooh a scrap box! I love those! What fun.

Progress on the shirt continues. Yay!

Those meals look yummy.