Thursday, April 28, 2011

Not Like the Others...

One of these things is not like the others...  Remember that old Sesame Street song?  Now, applying your keen powers of differentiation, can you tell what about the bottom row in my Hands2Help quilt is not like the others?

Actually, there are two things, but I'm talking about the one thing that I will probably have to unsew/fix.  I say "probably" because it doesn't bug me all that much, and I kind of like the way it affects the outside edge.

Did you find it?   The part that may require a seam ripper is that I have the horizontal rails upside down in the last row.

So tell me, what would you do?  Leave it or fix it?  I'm just curious.

You may also have noticed that I'm using a solid red versus a print in the bottom row.  That's because I ran out of one of the red print fabrics, which I figured I might, but I'm okay with that.  It's actually even less noticeable in natural light, without the camera flash.  And I might even reshuffle the blocks so it's more scrappy overall and less obvious than a whole row of a different fabric.  I'll play with that idea.  Of course if I do that, I'll definitely fix those blocks first.

I didn't keep up with my 15 Minute Challenge chart this past week, but I have spent quite a bit of time in the sewing room on this particular quilt top, and I am happy with the progress made on it.

On a sad note, my former neighbor, for whom I made this quilt a couple months ago, lost her battle with cancer on Tuesday.  

Dad had stopped in to see her on Monday, and she was sleeping but did rouse to say a few words.  She had the quilt over her.  It is good to know it provided some comfort to her in her final days.

10 comments:

thea said...

I would probably fix it. Not that I think it looks bad, but I would be worrying about it .. if you could put a note somewhere that says .. hey I saw this and left it this way because i thought it looked good. That's my 2 cents.

Pokey said...

I still sing that song (in class)! I say, leave it and call it a design call, "I did that on purpose to make you ask" kinda thing. It's really not that noticable, P., but if I was going to worry over it, I would undo it.
I'm sorry for your loss of your friend. Your quilt was truly a comfort to her!

Elizabeth said...

Go with your gut -- in other words, do what makes you happy. If it will bug you, unpick. If not, leave it.

Also, so sorry about Norma. I'm sure she enjoyed the quilt and I'm glad you got it done for her.

xo -El

SueWis said...

I think you should fix it. Isn't it actually the bottom 2 rows that have the rails flipped, or am I crazy? (don't answer that)

Sorry to hear about your friend. I'm glad your quilt gave her comfort.

Paulette said...

It does look like two rows, but a block is four rail sections sewn together, so I counted the 4-part block as a row. You wouldn't know that by looking at it, though, so I should have clarified.

Evelyn said...

Um, can't you just turn those bottom 3 blocks counter-clockwise by 90 degrees? I'm not the best at visualizing, but I think that would work....

Jenny said...

i personally dont mind a mistage or two in my quilts. good thing!!

sorry for the loss of your friend...

Shay said...

If you hadnt pointed it out I wouldnt have noticed it. I think that quilt is "busy" enough that you could get away without unsewing if you wanted to and it doesnt detract from the loveliness one bit. I really like that quilt!

Sorry to hear about your former neighbour. You gave her a lot of happiness and pleasure with your quilty gift.

Love Sesame Street . I watched it with Little P the other day but now Im going to have that song stuck in my head all day ...darn you!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

I'm sorry about your neighbor. I'm sure she got much comfort from the quilt.
I'd have to fix the upside down blocks or I'd fret over it, but that's just me! I fret a lot:) Love the way it's shaping up!

MomWaldsPlace said...

I LOVE that song!

So sorry about your friend.