Thursday, April 7, 2011

Paper Piecing Whoop-de-Doo!

This paper piecing thing?  Oh, mama.

I mean that in a good way.

It is a persnickety person's dream come true!  And by dream, I mean the kind that features Johnny Depp and Hugh Jackman hanging out in your hot tub giving you a foot massage, and, by the way, you look like Charlize Theron, and, oops, everyone forgot their bathing suits.  You know, the good kind.

I mean, just look at those points.  Doesn't a part of you just go, "Ahh..."  The Mozart-loving part, the part that is mesmerized by a good drill team, the part that understands the Pythagorean Theorem and covalent bonds and string theory.  Okay, totally kidding about string theory.  I'm lucky I can understand Steven Hawking's speech emulator, never mind quantum mechanics.

But I think I do understand the appeal of paper piecing now.  Yes, it's fiddly.  No, I don't think I want to make a whole quilt that way (not now, anyway).  I sure like the results though, the gratifying precision that sewing exactly on the lines affords.

After making four blocks, I had a lovely little pile of scraps alongside the cutting mat, and another part of me took over.  The playful, Jackson Pollack-loving, bad joke appreciating, who cares that I should have been back to work an hour ago part.



Maybe I'll use it in the backing?  

These blocks are for the Paper Piece Quilt-Along hosted by Sarcastic Quilter.  It's the only sewing-related thing I've worked on this week, but I'm happy about how they turned out and that I feel more comfortable with the process of making them.  

What are you excited about having accomplished this week?  Join the linky party at Sarah's and share!

19 comments:

thea said...

beautiful!!

thea said...

or should I say, whoop, whoop!

Shevvy said...

Lovely. I really enjoy paper piecing and love the way this block comes out.

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Johnny Depp and the Pythagorean Theorem first thing in the morning! Thanks for that:) You lost me at covalent bonds, though.
Aren't those points awesome? You done good kid!

Angie said...

Told you you would love it once you started! I HATED it at first until someone who knew what she was doing showed me, now I paper piece something at least once a week. I am working on 2 full PP quilts right now. Plus any time I need something small, you can bet there is a PP block in it! Keep up the great work! Oh and don't freak about the waited fabric, just drool over the pretty points. ;)

Elizabeth said...

P., I LOVE your color combinations! Gorgeous! And those precision points are AWESOME! I loved reading this post. Is there room in the hot tub for me?

xo -El

domestiCass said...

I love your PP blocks and the scrap block. They are all amazing and the colors are so springy. Thanks for the laughs too! Whoop-Whoop!

Miri said...

Great paper pieced blocks-but my favorite is your free for all block!

I find paper piecing extremely annoying to do but I loved using it for Jane-its the best for small pieces!

Sarah Craig said...

Was there anything in your post after Johnny Depp and Hugh Jackman in the hot tub? I was distracted.......

Seriously, though, your blocks are gorgeous - and I love the scrappy one! It would make a gorgeous pillow top, too!

Whoop Whoop!!!

Christina said...

You're hilarious. Sounds like a great party. Glad you're crooning on PP and your free pieced block looks great too!

Brita said...

What fun! I love the pp technique, and really should focus on doing more. But off I go, in another direction...

Brita said...

I forgot: Whoop, Whoop! It's gonna be beautiful!!

Susan said...

Beautiful work!!!! Gotta love that precision piecing! :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like your blocks. You did a great job. I haven't figured out paper piecing yet.

Miss Hillbilly said...

Ahhh, good for you, you 'get it' now! I still love paper piecing. I have been away from it for awhile but it is my first quilt love.

It does create more scraps, but I don't care...I'd rather take 'easy'.

Amanda said...

Those fabrics are beautiful! I haven't tried paper piecing yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Especially after seeing your points!

MomWaldsPlace said...

OhMyFreakingWord!!!

Paper piecing is beyond me. YOU are one of those people who excel at something they try for the first time. Wow!

Fabulous, simply fabulous! If you do not show us the finished quilt, you will have a riot on your hands.

greelyrita said...

Sharp! as kids used to say when I was one. :) Whoop! Whoop!

SueWis said...

I love what you did with the scraps!