Friday, August 26, 2011

Favorite Things Friday - Green, Eggs and Ham

First, let me tell you what is not my favorite thing this week:  Waking up at three-something a.m. and not being able to get back to sleep.

This happened not once but twice this week, and all I have to say is it better not be some kind of trend.  Both times I tossed.  I turned.  I readjusted and refluffed.  Covers off, covers on?  Hot or cold, make up your mind.  I went to the bathroom (the "wee" hours, indeed) and had a sip of water.

Finally, facing the fact that there were no more Zs to be had, I got up to make myself some breakfast.  And not half a banana and a piece of dry toast either.  We're talking P's House of (gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free) Pancakes.  Or, you know, P-HO(gfdfsf)P for short.

So I hauled out the big electric griddle and all the ingredients and made blueberry buckwheat pancakes from scratch.  That didn't seem like enough, so I made some eggs and ham besides.  And then I ate another pancake.  With almond butter.

Who did not give a rat's was not watching carbs or calories at four-something in the morning?  Other than watching them go down the hatch, that is.

As you might imagine, in a little while I was sleepy again, so Mama Bear settled in for a four-hour, mid-morning, REM-crazy, coma snooze.

Two days later, a similar scenario.  This time, however, I made a skillet frittata with broccoli, shredded zucchini, diced ham, and two eggs.  I'm calling it "Green, Eggs and Ham."  

It will be on the P-HO(gfdfsf)P menu, whenever the printer gets it right.

I've eaten this twice since (after a normal night's sleep), and it is my Favorite Thing this week.  Today I didn't have any ham, so I substituted leftover salmon.  Do not try this at home.  Okay, "Green Eggs and Sam" wasn't bad, but it won't be appearing on our regular menu, except maybe on Fridays during Lent.  Ham is definitely better.

Here's how it all goes together.

Yes, that IS a blob of bacon fat to grease the skillet.  

I know it's a nonstick pan, what's your point?

Looky there, a serving of vegetables and the sun is barely up!

Pretend this is ham.  Do as I say.  Or keep the cats away from the stove.

Put the cover on it for a couple minutes until the top sets.  Or if looking at it gives you the heebie-jeebies.

Slide it out of the pan (miracle of bacon grease!) and onto a plate.  If it still gives you the willies, look at the fruit.  

LOOK AT THE FRUIT!  Puppies!  Rainbows!  Pancakes!

All kidding aside, it really does taste good (use ham).

In summary:  

Waking up at the wrong time:  Completely Annoying.

Breakfast (anytime):  Awesome.

Favorite thing:  Green, Eggs and Ham.

P.S. - HAM.

13 comments:

Sara said...

Salmon is good,just not in eggs--GOTCHA Paulette!!!

Hope you get some sleep tonight hon:)

Michelle said...

Now you've got me really craving eggs. No ham in the kitchen, but there's some bacon...and mushrooms...and cheese...

I'm suddenly very hungry!

thea said...

I hate nights like that .. hopefully your forays into cooking will at least make it worth while .. (p.s. if i used that word wrong, please forgive me). I may even try your green eggs and ham.

Shay said...

OMG You have me in absolute stitches here . I'm trying so hard not to wake Mr. P up because it's still the middle of the freaking night. Yep-I just woke up too. It's fun isn't it?

And suddenly I want to make an omelette.

PS I think you went out and bought a new pan for the purpose of this post.That looks way too clean to have been used before...

Larri said...

Ack! This happened to me this week. I'm blaming Irene and the barometric pressure. Surely that's what's causing the wake-in-the-middle-of-the-night thing going on around here.

The ham and eggs sounds great. The salmon...not so much. Here's hoping you get a full night of sleep. Happy FTF! ☺

MomWaldsPlace said...

You sound pregnant. That was a joke, really.

Kirsten's Cooking said...

seems like you have a future as a food blogger!!! :)

I hate waking up in the middle of the night - although I've never actually gotten up before - I just fling the covers back and forth until I get comfortable.

And, it seems you have the same first name as my mother in law :)

Kit Lang said...

That looks DELICIOUS!

Elizabeth said...

P., super awesome post. I love the humor in it. Totally. Thanks for making me smile.

xo -E

Marg said...

I woke up at 3 twice this week too, but there is no way I would get up and cook breakfast at 4 in the morning. I try to hang out until 6 before I start thinking about breakfast, or if I'm really starving I'll grab some yoghurt. Green, eggs and ham sounds nice. I couldn't face salmon at 4 in the morning....ever.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Not a fan of waking up early either or eggs but I could definetly go for the pancakes...maple syrup perhaps.Yum!
Hope you find your snooze button real soon.

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

I did get the heebie-jeebies a little. Not sure I could mix fish with eggs:) So, I'll pretend it's ham because you said so. Yummy! I do give you a lot of credit for gfdfsf, though:)

Kate said...

Must be something in the air, I did get at least one more hour in the sack then you did.

I don't do green with eggs, but everything else sounds yummy. Hope you get back on a regular schedule soon.