Sunday, May 27, 2012

Finished Hands2Help Charity Quilt

There was a delay of several weeks between piecing my Hands2Help quilt top and putting it all together, but I finally got it done this week.  Nothing like a deadline for motivation!

I used the Nine Patch Lattice Quilt tutorial by Elizabeth Hartman at Oh, Fransson!  I made it a bit wider and longer, though, so it's closer to twin size.

The print fabrics were from a Jo-Ann kit I had found during one of my thrifting adventures last year—brand new, good quality fabrics in the box.  I loved the bright, yet earthy, color palette.  The tan solid is from Connecting Threads.

The scraps and a couple of leftover fat quarters and other yardage from the kit went into the backing and the binding.

It is quilted in an all-over meander, my go-to, git 'er done method.

I shipped this off to Sarah on Friday for the NOLA project to distribute quilts to grade school children in St. Bernard Parish in New Orleans, an area particularly hard hit by Hurricane Katrina.  These quilts will be distributed in the fall by her church group, which has made several mission trips there since the disaster.

A couple months ago, I won a pretty black/white/red rag quilt from Richard of Richard Quilts for being one of the winning guesses on the birth stats for their baby girl, Julia, born in March.  Richard is a prolific new quilter, and I honestly don't know where he gets his energy from, but I was happy to win one of his handmade beauties.  I told him I would be donating it to Hands2Help, so I tucked it into the box to Sarah, along with my own.

I know that these and the many other quilts donated through this charity quilt challenge will bring much joy and comfort to their recipients.  It is an honor and a pleasure to be part of this event, and I look forward to participating again next year!


May Finishes

14 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

P., you are awesome!!! I love your quilt (I've been dying to try this design for a while myself) and how sweet of you to send Richard's quilt along too! You're going to make some kids in St. Bernard Parish very happy!!

Karen said...

Very pretty quilt. I know it will be loved and treasured.

Sheila said...

Your quilt is BEAUTIFUL! I love the back! I shop JoAnns often.

Sheila said...

Your quilt is BEAUTIFUL! I love the back! I shop JoAnns often.

Pokey said...

What a worthy cause for your pretty quilt to go to! Bless your heart for sharing the winning one, also. Blessings to you for your sharing heart ~
:-}pokey

Miki Willa said...

What a bright and wonderful quilt! Some lucky child is going to be so happy.

Kat said...

Great pattern and a beautiful finished quilt. How sweet that you sent Richard's along, too.

Hilachas said...

What a beauty you've made. WTG!

Karen said...

How wonderful, sure to be loved!

Terri said...

What an interesting pattern! I share your enthusiasm for Sarah's H2H and look forward to next year, too. I feel a sense of friendship with the participants... it's a good cause. Spread the love!
Hugs!

BunkHouseQuilts said...

Wonderful! Well, that's a new and interesting pattern I have to put in my favorites! I have used lots of Connecting Threads fabrics and always have good luck with them. So nice of you to donate your rag quilt that you won! I'm lovin' that pieced binding too!! Kudos to you!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Always love a 9=patch for a cuddling quilt - great colors and fabric for a scrap kit. Really like the way you did the back - would be a wonderful 'front'. Super that you donated your 'win' quilt as well.

Sue Daurio said...

Love that pattern, yours turned out wonderfully! Front and back are both beautiful!

Elizabeth said...

LOVE that quilt! The colors are so beauitful! You really have a way with colors. And it is such a worthy cause. I'm sure someone's life will truly be blessed for your efforts.

xo -E

P.S. Thanks for linking up!