Monday, June 11, 2012

Sunday Sundry 6-10-12

The corner of my front porch (which is more of a step or landing, really) was looking kind of bare and in need of some color.  One thing that grows well in that shady spot is impatiens, so I picked up some of those.  Then I rooted around in my garage looking for a suitable container.  You know how one thing leads to another.

Found this plastic tub that had been used to drain the lawnmower oil.  It had a little hole in it (drainage, right?), and it looked about the right size, but I didn't want it to be blue.  Which led me to dig out an old can of cream colored spray paint.

Along the way, I found the old birdbath, i.e., plant stand.  I hosed off the cobwebs and scrubbed it as best I could. 

The next day when the paint was dry on the tub, I potted up some flowers.  They'll be prettier once they bloom and start to fill in more.  I think I've got red and coral impatiens mixed together in there.  The same, plus white, went into the pots in the little wagon.

It was looking kind of lonely yet, so I dusted off a trellis I had leaning against a wall in the garage.

Around the base of the tub, I put some river stones mixed with green glass from the dollar store.

I think I still need something low to fill in behind the base of the birdbath and hide the bottom of the trellis.  I'll keep digging around and see what I come up with, but I'm liking it so far.

Sewing-wise, I'm working on a baby quilt.  I finished the top this past week and stared at it on the living room floor for a couple days, debating about what to do for the backing.  Since the front is kind of bright and busy, I thought I'd tone it down for the back with just one strip across a Heath gray background.  I may actually like the back better than the front!  This photo doesn't really do it justice, but you get the idea.  I'm using some bits I'd cut for a kaleidoscope quilt that wasn't.

Sorry to be a little stingy with pictures, but the mom-to-be may read this.  I've got to figure something out before I post any more pics. 

Anyway, I'm hoping to get it at least basted together this week.  Lots of other things competing for time and attention, though.  Isn't that the way of it?

6 comments:

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Great idea for your front porch! It looks pretty even without all flowers in bloom. You're doing some pretty cool recycling.

Love the quilt back! What kind of fabric is the gray? It's a great look.

Sara said...

Very creative with the planter!

The quilt looks really cool!!

Cherie said...

The planters look great. I love the bird-bath.

The quilt back looks good. I'll be waiting to see the finished quilt =D


P.s Would you mind turning off your word verification. Please and thanks
http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/im-not-robotreally.html

Michelle said...

I'm very partial to impatiens. Your little corner looks so cheery now.

Love what I could see of the baby quilt. Such happy prints.

Kay Lynne said...

Your porch looks great! It's fun to use what we already have!

Elizabeth said...

I LOVE that quilt back. It is really amazing!

And, I love your little color spot on the porch. That trellis is amazing and I love how you grouped all of those things together. You have an artistic eye, that's for sure.

xo -E