I went back through my posts to determine what I'd already written about the Ironwork Quilt-Along quilt I started in 2012, and it turns out not much. Not sure how that happened, except around the time I started that quilt, Norm had a work accident and my attention was diverted elsewhere. Best guess as to why it fell through the cracks.
Anyway, all's well that ends well. Norm recovered in a few months, and almost two years later, I finally finished the Ironwork quilt!
The flimsy was done in 2012, probably not too long after I started it. Then it was put on the rack to properly age. In other words, I hadn't a clue how to quilt it, so there it sat. Fast forward to now and I finally felt ready to tackle the finish. It seemed to me that it needed a lot of ditch quilting around the rust-brown parts first, so I started there.
For quilting inspiration, I was thinking about what might naturally occur around an iron gate, and ivy came to mind. My heart-shaped leaves don't exactly look like ivy, but close enough for rock and roll, as they say.
Plan A had actually been a more controlled, larger, leaf-shaped design, done sort of on the order of feathers, i.e., around a central stem. However, that didn't pan out in practice. Hence Plan B was adopted, and meandering heart-shaped leaves it was.
I used a variegated Sulky top thread and Aurifil in the bobbin. Fabrics are Quilter's Candy Solids from Connecting Threads.
You can find the QAL posts for the Ironwork quilt at Piecemeal Quilts, HERE.
Thanks, Sandi, for the inspiration, beautiful quilt pattern, and great instructions. I really enjoyed making this!