Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Starts and Finishes

Getting ready for Thanksgiving here.  

Two gluten-free pie crusts ready and in the freezer, check.

Ducks out of the freezer and thawing, check.

Dad bagged these wood ducks (and a few more) this hunting season.  How about his XXX rating?  Triple X means they're in great condition, as in there are probably no shot pellets in the breast meat and all the parts are intact, etc.  The other end of the spectrum in his labeling system is "GA."  If you are gifted a package of wild duck or goose that says GA, he will tell you it means "Good to Average" (which may be true), but to him it means "Give Away."  Sorry, Dad, if I just busted you, but it is pretty funny.

(Image Source)
My sister will be bringing the turkey.  Norm is relieved to know there will be traditional domesticated fowl on the menu as well. 

We'll have squash in lieu of sweet potatoes.  I like both, but Dad had a bumper crop of butternut squash this year.  

He didn't plant gourds, but these hitched a ride in the tomato plants from the nursery and grew up among (and over and through) the tomatoes.  How long does it take gourds to dry, do you know?  These have been sitting since early September but they're still pretty solid feeling.  Remember when you dried gourds in grade school and they became nature's maracas?  Maybe you need an old-fashioned radiator to help the process, none of this humidity-controlled central heating stuff.

I grabbed some strips sitting off to the side on the cutting table and whipped up another kennel quilt for the animal surgery clinic.  I'm repurposing my daughter's old scrubs for these.

I did free-motion wavy quilting down the seam lines.  I asked my daughter how these were holding up through washings, etc., and she said "surprisingly well."  Guess I better churn out a few more then.

I also finished the borders on the improv corduroy quilt.  I used up all the red corduroy and almost all the blue in the process of bordering it.  You know what?  I really like it!

Not sure how to go about quilting it yet.  I think I want to keep it simple, whatever form that may take.  Feel free to volunteer ideas, if you have any.

I hope you and yours have a very Happy Thanksgiving!  And happy shopping, if you're into Black Friday sales.  I'll be home devising my Cyber Monday plan.

8 comments:

Lara B. said...

My gosh - how do you do all that Paulette? Love the way your corduroy improv quilt turned out!

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

I'd hand quilt it w perle cotton. You have created a gorgeous piece. I really love it. Happy squash day.

Kevin the Quilter said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours P! Hmmmmm..........xxx wild duck? Sounds like a menu entry at a fancy shmancy restaurant???? LOL

Shay said...

I’m completely envious of the thought of all the feasting that’s going to be happening on your side of the pond today . I’ll be lucky to choke down vegemite on toast for dinner. And I LOVE duck ...so it’s probably just as well you’re so far away or you might have an extra for dinner roll up unannounced and uninvited.

Love the wavy quilting on the ex scrubs project – whimsical and cute.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours P.

Marei said...

Those gourds are really very cool looking. First time I've seem that variety....and no, I don't know how long it takes for them to dry. Sorry. Love the way your improve is looking with the borders. I'm going to suggest straight line quilting to mimic all the lines you've got going on. And I think some "big" stitches with perle cotton to accent the cross pieces would look cool. In any case I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish it up. Happy Thanksgiving!

Terri said...

Dinner is shaping nicely. Love squash.
Your doggie blankies are adorable. Good cause, too.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Hugs

Elizabeth said...

Love your improv quilt! It is fantastic. I'd say stitch in the ditch. What more does this quilt need, really?

xo -E

Kaja said...

You should like it - it has turned out really well! My default quilting option is is hand stitching with perle, matching the colours to the fabrics.