Sunday, December 4, 2016

Sunday Sundry 12-4-16

I don't know if you know this, but just thinking about a blog post doesn't get it done.  Funny how that works!

I bet I'm not alone, though, in composing something in my head that never makes it to the page.  Most of the time it's while I'm in the middle of work or another task.  The moment passes, several hours or days, maybe, and then it seems like old news.  If I can even remember what it was, that is. 

Anyway, I want to do a Quilty 365 update before the link-up expires. Nothing like a deadline to get something done!

I got on a roll and actually had most of my November circles made before the second week of the month.  That turned out to be a good thing, because then the wind went out of my sails for a little while and there was minimal-to-no sewing.

Deviating from a color of the month theme, I had more or less decided that November would be a free-for-all.  As it turned out, sifting through the scrap boxes, I was drawn to the fabrics that had faces, so I ran with that.  People, animals, and a few other random things that caught my eye.

In the end, 30 circles.  My total tally so far for the project is 307.  I'm feeling good about that, and hanging in there for the rest of December.  I may not get to 365 before I hit the one-year mark, since I started last January, but it'll be enough to put together a quilt.

* * * * *
In reorganizing the basement, we did a pretty major purge.  Sold a big wrought iron aquarium stand on Craigslist.  Drove three carloads of stuff to Goodwill.  The circle of life:  Quite a bit had come from the thrift store, and to the thrift store it was returned.  Now someone else can enjoy those eclectic acquisitions from past years.  Meanwhile, I'll be enjoying a wonderful sense of spaciousness and lightness.

There's still more stuff to sort through and send away, for sure.  It's an ongoing process.

* * * * *
Now I'm doing some Christmas sewing.  The first gift-giving gatherings of the season are taking place this coming week, so I've got to keep my nose to the grindstone if I want to get done what I'd like.

I was gifted a big box of scrubs recently, from the place where I worked part-time for 10 years.  I'm turning some of them into zipper pouches.

So cute!  I'm using THIS tutorial.  They're going together pretty fast.  It's been a few days since I took this picture, and now there are 11 done. 

Have you seen Kevin's latest post?  He has a tutorial for the cutest little mini-quilt!  I had to try it right away.  I've got one ready to sew together, but no pictures yet.

Are you doing any "secret sewing" for the holidays, or have you gotten it all done already? 

9 comments:

Kevin the Quilter said...

Your circles for November are all so unique! The faces are going to add so much to your quilt! The fabric looks like new from those scrubs you used! The bags are perfect! Let me know how the tree comes together!

Marei said...

Glad to hear the purging went well and things are feeling spacious. I personally love "spacious". And....you know what I'm going to say about your circles, right? Love them! Glad you were able to use that chef fabric to its full potential. And finally!a way to make those cowgirls worth having in a quilt. That fabric was given to me and I groan every time I see the strips of it that I have left.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Awesome November circles! Adding faces was such a good idea.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Your purging is going much better than mine! I've still got loads to do. It seems like the things multiply when I am not looking. Your circles are fabulous - love all those faces. I am very behind in my circle project - just hit the one year mark in November. I guess it will be a two year project for me.

audrey said...

LOVE all your face fabrics for your circles! What a great idea. They just make me smile.:)

Vonlipi said...

Those zipper pouches are AWESOME!

Thanks for sharing!

Lara B. said...

All those faces are so interesting and will make the quilt even more fun to look at. Good going Paulette!
Hooray on the spaciousness. We are trying to declutter too in preparation for downsizing. I'm aghast over how much we have accumulated over the years. It feels really good to have less, doesn't it?

Quilting Babcia said...

Your circles are absolutely fabulous! What a cheerful and fun quilt these will make. Fun, fun, fun for anyone who gets to snuggle under it!

Kaja said...

Faces- what a brilliant idea; I love this collection of circles.I downsized a few years ago - felt very liberating getting rid of carloads of stuff.