Sunday, March 12, 2017

Sunday Sundry 3-12-17

As Zep would say:  "It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time..."

Maybe not so lonely, in my case, but a long time between posts for sure.  Unfortunately for you, dear reader, I have no harrowing tale of being abducted by aliens to account for being MIA.  Just, you know, life.
On the subject of aliens, though, two things (Already with the tangents? Yes, indeed!):  (1)  This Saturday Night Live skit never fails to crack me up.  (2)  Arrival.  Good movie.

* * * * *
Here on the home front, I have finished a couple of kennel quilts from repurposed scrubs. 


First, a pretty basic one, alternating a solid and a print.  The back is also entirely from scrubs.

Next, a Gee's Bend-style housetop quilt.  The wine and cheese themed fabric on the back was a thrift store find.
The Way I Sew It: Housetop style quilt from repurposed scrubs

I made a scrappy bias binding from scrubs, because I'd opted to maintain the wonky, slightly bowed nature of this free-pieced strippy quilt.  I deliberately did not square it up whatsoever.  Amazingly, it lies completely flat with no ripples, which is better than some of my squared up quilts.  Since the poly-cotton blend scrubs were washed and worn many times over, the quilt has a wonderful soft drape to it, and is cozy warm. 


It was hard to capture the true vibrancy of the solid colors in this quilt, but it is better looking in real life.  I like it so much, I may have to hang onto it a little while before it (literally) goes to the dogs.

* * * * *
It's March, and that means it's time to get in on some fun quilt making for the benefit of other people.  Sarah has just kicked off the 2017 Hands2Help Charity Quilt Challenge!

Confessions Of A Fabric Addict

Click on over to Confessions of a Fabric Addict for all the details and to sign up.  I always enjoy participating in this annual event to make quilts for a number of good causes (or a local one of your choosing).  And, as always, there are great prizes!

* * * * *
How it went down yesterday on our trip to W@lmart:

That moment when you come up behind your spouse who's pushing the cart at the store and go to toss something in, but he doesn't know you're there and veers to the right, so the item lands on the floor, and the guy coming the opposite way looks up from his phone at just the right moment, like you might be a crazy person who randomly throws things on the floor in other people's paths. Meanwhile the spouse just keeps moving down the aisle. I hate when that happens.

* * * * *
My dad is happy to be back home and out of the rehab center after his ankle fracture and surgery.  He's still non-weightbearing on the left leg for several more weeks.  Here he is relaxing in his new lift chair.
The day he came home, we had a freak hailstorm.  It was as if Mother Nature decided to throw him a ticker-tape parade, complete with her own version of confetti.


Personally, I could have done without having to shovel pea and marble-sized hail off the wheelchair ramp so he could get in the house, but you do what you have to do.  I got it cleared off in the nick of time, just as my sister was driving in with him.

* * * * *
What with everything going on after the first of the year, it took a while for us to get around to downloading all of our Christmas pictures.  I thought this was a pretty nice one of my siblings and me (on right).
* * * * *
I changed up my Pyrex display in December.  Since snow is still in the forecast here, I don't feel bad that it's still up, although probably not much longer.


The tree out front has a great sap-sicle going on.  We had it trimmed recently when it was warmer (upper 40's), and then it got cold again. Seeing one of these on a river birch tree was a first for me.


Winter in the Upper Midwest:  It ain't over 'til it's over!

3 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

Thanks for the shout-out, P.! It's great to see you back in my blog reader again....

Chicken said...

We are expecting another two feet of snow tomorrow. Hopefully, no hail, but it would not surprise me. It's nice to have a picture to put with the words. Glad to hear your dad is out of the rehab facility

Kaja said...

Winter never really started here this year - looks like it's all been over with you! I always like to see what you achieve with the scrubs - such a transformation - and I really, really like your Gees Bend-y one.