Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Quilt for International Institute

This year's Hands2Help charity quilt challenge is coming to a close, and I'm nipping in under the wire with a quilt I've just finished today.
Somewhere in the beginning of the challenge, Sarah posted a photo of a quilt which caught my eye and served as inspiration.  It seemed like a good way to use all those bright, larger scale prints in the stash and scrap boxes.  I took a good rummage around and came up with a variety, stocked up on some Kona Snow background fabric that happened to be on sale, and was off to the races.

The tortoise kind of race, that is.  Slow and steady...
I cut 9-inch squares and made half-square triangles with a bright and a background square.  Then trimmed them to 8.5 inches and arranged them on the design wall.  Pretty easy-peasy.  It finished at 64 x 88.
The backing was made with chunks of scraps and some yardage from the stash.  I thought WAY harder about how to piece the backing than I did the front, though you might not know it to look at it now.  Like a jigsaw puzzle, putting together this and that to bring it up to the right size using the odd parts available.  I miscalculated somewhat when one of those odd parts ran short, which led to making the two hourglass blocks in the middle.
That may be my favorite part of the whole back.
Anyway, it's done and ready to send off to International Institute!

Linking to Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

8 comments:

Carol E. said...

What a lovely gift for some new Americans!

Quilting Babcia said...

Beautiful design and a great way to use those scrappy pieces.

Sarah Craig said...

It's just gorgeous, P.! (I may have to make one of these with the leftovers from my Artisan fabrics!) And I feel you about the back - a pieced back takes a lot of thought!! Thanks for being part of H2H 2017!!

Louise said...

This is a beautiful quilt! So bright and cheerful, with lots of yummy quilty texture. Thank you for sharing your time and talents!

Quiltdivajulie said...

It is absolutely wonderful - and those two hourglass blocks make it even better!

Marei said...

Another happy quilt to smile about! It looks great.

Kaja said...

A lovely quilt, and what a great cause. I love your two hourglass blocks on the back too.

Sandra Walker said...

I figuratively clapped my hands in glee seeing your backing!! I love interesting backs and yours is fabulous. As is the front, all those happy brights and for such a good cause.