Sunday, October 22, 2017

Sunday Sundry 10-22-17

Let's see if I remember how to do this blogging thing.  Were you wondering whether I'd R-U-N-N-O-F-T?  Nope, still hanging in there.  It's been a pretty nice couple of months, actually, what with hugging all the goodness out of summer and all.  I don't even know if that is a meaningful metaphor, but you get the idea.
(Beautiful bike trail.)

There have been birthdays to celebrate, a wedding, a retirement, a funeral, pretty much the full gamut of life's milestones.
(An early fall boat tour.)
Art galleries and museums to visit.  Bike trails, waterways, and nature to explore and enjoy.

(My sister, in red, and my niece at the Kirsty Mitchell "Wonderland" exhibit.)
(My sister and I on a lovely September day at The Paine Art Center and Gardens.)
Recipes to try and flavors to savor.
(New gluten-free, dairy-free pumpkin pie recipe was a winner!)
There's been some sewing, too.  Not a whole lot, but some.  I finished the string quilt top I'd started piecing in August.
(My String-X)
Friend and fellow quilter Marei and I did a two-person quilt along.  We love Bonnie Hunter's quilts, and you may recall we did a similar thing a couple years ago when we each made a Scrappy Mountain Majesties quilt.  That one is currently on my bed, in fact, at this in-between time of year.  We've had a mild fall so far, and sometimes the AC still comes on; other times it's a little chilly in the house.

Anyway, Marei let me pick the pattern we were going to make this time, and I chose String-X.  Above is my flimsy in the fall colors, and below is Marei's.  I really like her background fabrics!

(Marei's String-X)
It always feels good to use up some of those scraps and strings.  When it came time for the border on my String-X, Marei happened to have just bought some lovely fabrics and offered to share a piece.  And that gorgeous green and purple batik looked marvelous!
Now I'm working on a baby quilt for my niece, a herringbone pattern made with half-square triangles.  It went up on the design wall this week. 
(Baby quilt on design wall.)
I procrastinated on starting it a little too long, because, as it happened, the baby arrived a bit early.  All is well, though, and I'm hoping to finish it up soon.

Lastly, here's a funny sight from along a bike trail a couple weeks ago. (And no, they're not mine!)

I bet there's a good story there, don't you think? ;)

6 comments:

Kim said...

Lovely to visit your place again. My, you have lived a whole lot of living in these past months. Gorgeous quilts, both yours and Mareis. How nice to have a quilting buddy to swap with. Cute baby quilt.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good to see your post - and glad that life has been full and satisfying since you posted last. Lovely photos and I do like the String-X quilts (both of them).

Kaja said...

Good to see you posting again, though your summer sounds way more fun than blogging.

Marei said...

Good to see you blogging again. I laugh when I see our quilts together. Yours is so classy....per usual, and mine is....well, like me. Crazy and loud. :)

QuiltGranma said...

Welcome back! beautiful quilts! Enjoyed visiting with you, come into my inbox again soon, please.

Sandra Walker said...

'hugging the goodness out of summer' Ah you are my kind of peeps. :-) The panties on the sign--!! Just TOO funny!