This little rail fence baby quilt is now quilted and bound. It was made from leftover 2-1/2 inch strips from the 16-patch quilt I made for the Hands2Help Challenge.
It will await the next baby quilt giving occasion, and if none presents itself within the next while (an indeterminate amount of time), I'll probably donate it.
I just couldn't throw those tiny cut off corners away. Actually, I did throw them away initially, but then I rescued them.
Each square broken dishes block is made of 16 half-square triangles and measures 5 inches finished. Despite the small pieces and my big hands, it really wasn't as fiddly as you might think.
I set them on point with a batik that I had in the stash. This next picture was taken in full sun, so it's kind of washed out looking but it shows the quilting better.
It was first quilted in the ditch on the diagonal. I was going to leave it at that, but it looked kind of boring, so I went back and quilted some pointy oval shapes in the batik squares, using a walking foot and making gentle elongated S-curves from top to bottom in one go, and then stitching the same gentle curves in the opposite direction, intersecting the first line of stitching in the batik block centers.
Definitely wasn't going to attempt that freehand, though. So I made a little pumpkin seed shaped template and marked it out, then did the walking foot stitching on the marked lines. Sweet!
Linking to Whoop-Whoop Fridays.