Friday, December 12, 2014

Fan-Tastic Finish

In looking back over my previous posts about this quilt, at some point I must have decided its name was "Fan-Tastic."  That is, of course, giving a nod to the name of the block, which is known as Grandmother's Fan. 

Fan-Tastic sounded better than Fan-O-Rama or Granny's Fanny, but I guess it depends on your mood.

Like the Drunkard's Path block, there are so many interesting ways you can set a Grandmother's Fan block quilt.  You can get some idea by doing a Google image search for Grandmother's Fan quilt, like HERE.

It's basically a quarter Dresden plate, which I cut using the EZ Dresden ruler and then drew the pieces for the outer setting and inner quarter circle, as described in this post.  Then I roughly sketched out a setting (emphasis on rough).  I had the top put together a year ago last November.

After it had been appropriately aged (i.e., neglected) for a year, it was time to send it off on holiday to my local longarm quilter, Sandy.

I left the quilting design to her discretion, and she chose a cheery overall floral-ish and swirly kind of thingamajig.  Technically speaking, that is.  I like it!

This quilt started as a challenge to use a piece of dress fabric yardage my sister gifted me (the darkest navy blue with white flowers).  Do you know, when I showed her the finished quilt, she didn't even recognize the fabric?  Not that it blended in well or anything, she just didn't remember ever buying that fabric.  Ha!

It's bound in a bright lime green check, from the clearance bin of a big box store, as was the backing.  Because, as we say here in the rural Upper Midwest:  "I ain't that way."  We're proud of our humility around here.  Our grammar, not so much.

Well, it's Friday and Sarah is again giving us a chance to show what we're doing the happy dance about, so I'm linking to Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?

Speaking of dancing, Bruno Mars is always fun to watch.  "Too hot!"  Yep.  Also, "smoother than a fresh jar of Skippy."

10 comments:

Kim said...

Oh you make me laugh!! "Granny's Fanny" does appeal to my sense of humour! This is a gorgeous quilt. Another brilliant finish by your clever fingers!

Lara B. said...

Well Fan-tastic fits perfectly Paulette, because it is Fantastic! "Granny's Fanny" Hahahah! I so enjoy your sense of humor! The proper aging of a quit does wonders for it, doesn't it? It is funny that your sister did not recognize the fabric too.

Micki @ 2 Dogs Studio said...

turned out beautiful. love the layout. really like the name you choose.

Sarah Craig said...

Gorgeous quilt, P.! And although I love the name "Fan-tastic", "Granny's Fanny" appeals to my sense of humor too! Whoop whoop!!

Hazel said...

I am confused as to the blue fans and the white background, I wonder if the blue fans are appliquéd onto the white background!

I really like the backing and the binding as well. Very bright and cheery!

Marei said...

Has it really been a year since "Fan-o-Rama" got finished? And got a name change? I find that very hard to believe!! Love this cheerful quilt, and the floralish swirly kind of thingamajig quilting. Perfect. And Bruno? Definitely!!

Elizabeth said...

Fan-Tastic indeed! I love this one! You are so creative! I love the things you do with challenging fabrics. I love the pretty check binding. Congrats on a great finish!

Smoother than a fresh jar of Skippy . . . I tell you.

xo -E

Kevin the Quilter said...

You are correct! It is a FANTASTIC finish! Fantabulous! I am a little disappointed, however, that you chose not to go with my recommended name, "My Sister's Fanny" for the quilt? JK

Karen said...

So great! Love this finish :). Granny's fanny is my vote!

Michelle said...

I've always been fascinated with the versatility of that pattern - and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the colors you used.