It's been a while since I made a kennel quilt for the veterinary surgery practice where my daughter works, but she reminded me recently that the ones I have made are in frequent rotation and holding up well so far.
A while back, I had cut squares of various sizes and started piecing some strips together, stacked coin style. Then the whole business sat off to the side for months and months while I got distracted by shiny things, like the sun.
So during this past week, I bent my nose to the task of getting a kennel quilt finished. I built it out medallion style (kinda sorta) from the bits and pieces already cut.
Longtime readers may recall that I'm making these from my daughter's old scrubs. In this one, the solids were all patch pockets from scrub pants. The prints are from the tops.
I started out by quilting a spiral in one of the green corner blocks, which was surprisingly not crappy (beginner's luck, as it happened). So I thought maybe it'd be good to practice some other quilting designs on this little thing. HA! That effort lasted all of five minutes and was immediately followed by 15 minutes of stitch ripping. Those poor doped up post-surgery pooches don't need any more pain, y'all, and that business hurt my eyes.
Thus, a trusty overall meander finished off the quilting. The back:
This one measures about 45 x 27 inches.
I still have a lot of scrubs left, so more kennel quilts ahead.