Sunday, February 12, 2017

Sunday Sundry 2-12-17

I started another quilt on a whim this past week.  One minute I'm cutting up a laundry basket full of solid colored scrubs and the next I decide to just start sewing some of the strips together.

Since I had the scissors in hand, I thought I'd shoot for a free-pieced, Gee's Bend style "Housetop" quilt, using just my scissors and eyeballing it, no ruler, no rotary cutter, no pins.

A while later, I had this.  A little wonky and bowed in places, to be expected, but all in all, not bad!


Decided to make it more rectangular, and I had two good sized pieces from a pair of scrub pants that worked well for that.


I think it might be hard to part with this one as a kennel quilt.  I really like it!

* * * * *
My dad had surgery this past week to fix the multiple fractures in his ankle, foot and lower leg from falling on the ice.  Four hours, five plates, and forty-two screws later, it was done.  His surgeon said it was the worst break he had seen in his entire career.  Dad had some tremendous pain after surgery, as you can imagine, but it seems better controlled now.  Now we wait for the bones to mend and healing to take place while he stays off it for a few months.

* * * * *
I was pretty frustrated this past week with trying to maintain a low-FODMAP diet yet things still not sitting well.  I'd had a streak of good days and then it seemed that no matter what, things turned to crap. It's been a month of watching and journaling and limiting and testing, and yesterday I was having a "forget it" moment.  And by "forget it," I totally mean the other f-word.  

So I thought:  If eating right isn't working, try...drinking?

And boy, did it taste fantastic! 
Just one, though.  I'm a lightweight like that.

* * * * *
Of course, laughter is the best medicine.  I am binge-watching Schitt's Creek on Netflix and laughing out loud!  I am loving the entire cast, but Eugene Levy playing it straight is a complete hoot, and his real son, Dan Levy, plays his son on the series and is equally hilarious.


* * * * *
With Valentine's Day just around the corner, I gave in to my sweet tooth today and tried out a new (gluten-free, dairy-free, low-FODMAP) recipe.


Brownie bites with peppermint frosting.  Thumbs up!  This one's a keeper.  Oh, and Norm too.  ;)

7 comments:

Terry said...

Your poor Dad, hope he heals quickly. Sorry you have so much trouble with your diet, pretty crappy for you. I just started watching Schitts Creek, seems pretty good.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your quilt turned out beautiful - the colors are very soothing. I would have a hard time parting with it too!

Chickens Consigliere said...

Your photos are a feast got the eyes, Joanne. Colorful quilt, refreshing drink, and minty chocolate. If you were my neighbor I would visit you a lot!

Chickens Consigliere said...

And I'm glad to hear your Dad is feeling a little better.

Kaja said...

I would want to keep that quilt too. Your dad's break sounds horrendous. At least they've done the work now, so I hope he doesn't find the enforced inactivity too frustrating. Perhaps he could take up quilting! I find many things seem better after a drink, though like you I am a lightweight.

Sandra Walker said...

Well despite the poor dad update, this post had me grinning and snickering most of the way through! From the happy Gee's Bend style quilt to the f-word, to the delectable brownies with pink frosting, I loved it. And oh no...another TV series that has tempted me but I have resisted, Schitt's Creek! I love that some of my American friends are getting me into my own Canadian shows! LeeAnna has got me into Murdoch Mysteries ;-)

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

I would have a hard time parting with that quilt, too! I can relate to the one drink and the word choices. Sometimes you just have to let it loose. And those cupcakes...yum!