Sunday, February 17, 2019

Progress and Thrift Finds

Work on the string basket blocks has continued, amounting to a total of 17 so far.  Here they all are on the design wall.

I may make a few more.  I have enough string basket bases cut for at least three more blocks (and there are a lot more shirt strings where those came from), but I'm running low on many of the solid scraps.  For each block, I used three different variations on that color scheme (three oranges, three pinks, etc.).  For the last aqua/blue block, though, I had to sub in a periwinkle solid.  It seems to have worked out.

I'm going to let the project sit for a bit, and we'll see where it goes eventually.  Still not sure if I'll end up setting them like this, or with some kind of sashing between, or turned completely differently.  To be determined...

Meanwhile, I cleaned up the string mess (you know how that can just take over a sewing space, right?), and I got back around to finishing up another quilt top.  Also made with thrifted shirts.

This was tricky to photograph in the house on this dreary winter day.  It's one of those quilts that's cozier feeling in real life and less—what's the word—discombobulated? 

I do like how it's turned out and am working on making the backing for it now.  That will also be from thrifted fabric, as it happens.  Not shirts, though. 

Speaking of that, we got out of the house yesterday (it's been a wild, wild winter lately; cabin fever is real, y'all).  We took a short drive to a neighboring town and hit the St. Vinny's there.

While I perused the fabric and craft section of the store, Norm wandered off and picked up a beautiful cougar!

She was super cheap (three bucks!), so of course we brought her home.  :)

She needs a little bath (the glass and frame), but with a tiny bit of TLC, she'll be good to go.  Or stay, as it were. 

I've got quite a collection of vintage paint-by-numbers, but it's still a thrill to find one, especially if it's well done, when we're out thrifting.  We've noticed we don't see them nearly as often as we used to.  I just checked eBay to see what the online market is like for these lately, and it looks like they have an identical cougar paint-by-number currently for $79.99.  Note to anyone who may have to clean out someone's attic, basement or garage:  Don't throw these in the dumpster thinking they're junk.  At least drive them to the thrift store where they can be joyfully found by the next PBN collector or nostalgic lover of kitsch!

Meanwhile, back in the fabric and crafts section, I had found a half yard of fabric and a nice hardcover quilt book from the mid-1990s.

Just look at these sweet quilts!

This Birds in the Air pattern really has a vintage vibe to it, doesn't it?  Love it.

And Sunflowers, yellow and blue is such a classic combination.

It's always a great day when you can go shopping with a ten dollar bill and come home with such fun finds and $4 in change!


11 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Wow, you have some fabulous thrift stores in your area! I really love that thrifted shirts quilt! And the book looks like fun too, the Birds in the Air quilt looks intriguing, especially since there are boxes of 'bonus' HST blocks around here just waiting to become something useful!

Barb Neiwert said...

Score on your thrifting! Discombobulated is one of my favorite words, and I love your scrappy plaid shirt quilt. Definitely will be a cozy, snuggly quilt!

audrey said...

Your string baskets are wonderful looking! I do love baskets in a quilt. And your thrifted quilt is fantastic. What a sweet, cozy looking quilt already!

em's scrapbag said...

Your baskets look great! Love what you did with the thrifted shirts. What a treasure in the book. Some great ideas to be found for sure.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow your basket quilt is stunning! I have found some quilt books at the library sales lately which always makes me happy. Our thrift stores tend to be quite pricey! Your shirt quilt does not look discombobulated at all. It looks very cozy and homey. By the way discombobulated is one of my favorite words too!

Tehachap said...

My latest 'find' in a thrift shop was two double-size white percale sheets at $2 each. Brand new, still in the original wrapper and though the wrappers looked like they had seen better days, the sheets themselves were immaculate. I washed them thoroughly with bleach anyway, then dried and pressed them. Used part of one in a quilt top fashioned after a blue/yellow column quilt. Don't remember the name of it, but it was posted by "Confessions of a Fabric Addict" a week or so ago.

Tehachap said...

http://confessionsofafabricaddict blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Both of those quilt tops are just lovely, but I admit to being particularly fascinated by the plaid sashing in the 2nd quilt. What a neat effect!

Nicole said...

The basket quilt looks phenomenal so far! If you need more solids I'd be happy to send you some. Just let me know.

And excellent scores at the thrift store!

Kaja said...

The baskets are stunning. I especially like how the solid triangles are echoing all the colours in the plaids so well. I like the second quilt too - it doesn't seem at all discombobulated to me, more cosy and inviting and comforting.

Claudia/Ompompali said...

I simply must tell you how much I love the scrappy triangles quilt you are making, made of thrifted shirts. It's gorgeous and the colouring is phantastic. I would love to make such a aquilt too. Unfortunately I don't have any shirts yet but will start to have a look around. I don't think I will find as many as you do but will not stop the search. Could you give me any measurements? How laarge the triangles or the blocks or the sashing? That would be lovely. Greetings from Germany and please do show us the finished quilt!