Monday, June 1, 2020

Hands2Help 2020 Quilt

Hi friends!  It's been a minute (a year, almost) since I last wrote anything here.  Between the many months that have elapsed and a different Blogger interface, I had to stare at the screen a little while before I figured out how to create a new post!

Things have been mostly fine here, personally, aside from the pandemic and other recent happenings in our country, which hurt my heart and mind and spirit.  But things will change, and hopefully for the better, sooner than later.

I've made only a few quilts during the past year, including a couple of commissioned baby quilts, but altogether haven't been super productive in that area.  When the coronavirus happened, I started making masks for various community organizations as part of a grassroots volunteer effort.  I also gave a few to family members and friends required to wear them for work and/or in public.


Then in late April, I got laid off, not due to the pandemic but because of a business sale which resulted in a different work model for the company. So now I've got a little more time on my hands.  Not a bad thing, just unexpected in the overall scheme of things.

For this year's Hands2Help charity quilt drive, I made a "Bricks and Stepping Stones" quilt from the free Bonnie Hunter/Quiltville tutorial.  This is the second one of these I've made.  The first was over 10 years ago and I gifted it to my sister, who still uses it on her bed.  I saw it there in January when I was visiting her house and thought to myself, I need to make another one of those.

Bricks and Stepping Stones Quilt
I had a pile of scraps sitting on the end of the cutting table, so I started cutting those into bricks, 3-1/2 x 6-1/2 inches.  Then I moved into the scrap containers for some more variety.  Had all the bricks cut and ready to go pretty fast, as well as the strips to make the black/white four-patch stepping stones.

Back
Had fabric in the stash for borders and a pieced backing, and was able to piece together a couple big chunks of batting.  It's quilted it in a multi-color thread in a lazy meander. 

This is being sent to Mercyful Quilts.

9 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

That turned out SEW nicely!! The recipient is going to enjoy looking at all of the different fabrics in this quilt.

Marei said...

I am SO happy you've posted on your blog again! I've been checking every couple weeks since last June. :) Your quilt came out lovely. You know....I've got over 1000 3.5"x6.5" rectangles cut and I've been thinking about this pattern for a long time. Maybe now is THE time.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Pretty masks - if we have to wear them (which we do), they may as well look good! I've made one of the bricks and stepping stones quilts but I went TOO scrappy and it was a bit of a muddle. Next time I'll make better choices.

Sarah Craig said...

It's beautiful, P. - one of my favorite patterns! And I love your "photogenic" masks!

Anonymous said...

It’s a beautiful quilt! Whomever the ultimate recipient is will love it. Such pretty masks too.

QuiltGranma said...

What a beautiful quilt, the recipient will sew appreciate it! Welcome back!

Bernie Kringel said...

Just wanted to say I love this quilt!!! I was thrilled when I opened it. So much color and the black and white four patch blocks set it up so well. Thank you for donating this to Mercyful Quilts. It will be well loved by its new owner. Your generosity is greatly appreciated!!!

Danice G said...

Really pretty quilt. H2H is such a worthy cause.

Kaja said...

It's a treat to check here and find you have posted. Such pretty masks, much nicer than black. Your quilt is going to make someone very happy, I'm sure.