Sunday, August 2, 2020

Sunday Sundry 8-2-20

Perfect is the Enemy of Good
Oh, the posts I write in my head that never make it to Blogger!  I'll see something interesting, think about exploring this or that idea, and on and on...but it's all subject to a not-so-magical disappearing act all the same.  What was I going to write about?  Poof, it's gone.  Does that happen to you?  I bet I'm in good company.

Well, this week I started jotting down some of those ideas.  I probably won't cover a lot of them, but for today I'm resurrecting my old Sunday Sundry theme and we'll see if we can tick a few off the list.  Random things, in no particular order.

For the Birds
I love watching birds, ever since I was a little girl.  Listening to their songs, seeing and touching their feathers (dad was a hunter, and we had parakeets), marveling as our neighbor painted them on canvas or crafted decoys.

Two birdie highlights this week:

1) We have a pair of hawks hanging around in the yard.  They appear to be juveniles, maybe hatched from the same nest.  At first I thought they were Cooper's hawks or maybe sharp-shinned hawks, but their call is what sets them apart.  They sound like a kitten mewing!

It's different sounding than the catbird that we regularly hear in the mulberry tree.  We've seen the hawks flying from tree to tree and followed their calls as they perched in the branches.  They're skittish and wary, so getting a good photo isn't easy.  I tried.

From what I can gather doing a little research, I think they're red-shouldered hawks.  You can hear how they sound HERE.  I don't know how long they'll hang around, but I think it's very cool that they're visiting!

2) We took a walk on a nature trail around a local marsh early one morning this  week.  While there wasn't much doing on the water, at a certain point along the trail my gaze was drawn upwards where a group of about 50 pelicans were circling in the sky directly overhead.  Happily gliding on thermals, glimmering white bodies in the morning sun, black-tipped wings outstretched, around and around like slow-motion figure eights.  Absolutely mesmerizing!  Of course, that's the day I didn't have a camera, but it made my heart happy!

Strange Materials
We visited the Museum of Wisconsin Art recently.  We have an annual membership and usually get there a couple times a year, but like most places they'd been closed during the early months of the pandemic.  It was a nice little getaway from home, and it wasn't at all crowded (and we wore masks, of course).  This exhibit looked like a neat pattern on the wall around a large painting, but on closer examination, it was something else!

All the pattern work is done with cicadas!  The bell jars have other insects posed in interesting vignettes.  Quite creepy-cool!

Here's the blurb that went with the exhibit, if you're wondering how or why.

In case you need a palate cleanser after that, there was some interesting fiber art and mixed media as well. 

I especially enjoyed Chrystal Denise Gillon's whimsical collage series on sardine cans called "Mama Says."  I could relate to a lot these!


From "Mama Said" series by Chrystal Dillon



Okay, I think that's going to be it for today.  Not perfect, but good enough.  I'll leave you with a little mini I made after sorting through the scrap drawers. 

I've started a string quilt, which I'll talk about another time soon.  Found some tiny yellow squares among the strings, just itching to be something, so I made this little mug rug. 

Here's the back.

How about you?  Tell me something from the past week or two that hasn't made it to a blog or social media post.

8 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Creepy cool and plenty weird those cicadas are - but fascinating at the same time. Younger son and I ventured forth (wearing masks of course) to one of the larger big box-ish craft stores yesterday. Lots of masks, 75% worn below the nose (sigh) and so very crowded inside the building (NO social distancing at all). We are not going back (or anywhere else that is not critical) for a long time. It is too people-y out there.

Marei said...

I wrote a comment and it's disappeared into the ether!
I'm always happy to see you on your blog. Loved that cicada art as I mentioned before. I'm constantly amazed at people's creativity. Looking forward to seeing your string quilt. I've got 2 in the works...strips are ready and all assembled in one place,(talk about minor miracles, but no sewing on them yet. Hopefully soon.

Anonymous said...

That cicada exhibit is absolutely awesome! (I think I could have been an entomologist in another life.) Very cool that the young hawks are hanging out. Your little mug rugs are adorable!

New going on....? Well, the pandemic has been going on long enough that this introvert, who is happiest at home, is actually yearning for an evening out with friends. 😳

Anonymous said...

That cicada exhibit is absolutely awesome! (I think I could have been an entomologist in another life.) Very cool that the young hawks are hanging out. Your little mug rugs are adorable!

New going on....? Well, the pandemic has been going on long enough that this introvert, who is happiest at home, is actually yearning for an evening out with friends. 😳

Sandra Walker said...

Well on red-shouldered hawks, which aren’t on any of my social media, and which I only just heard of two weeks ago: my ‘few doors down’ neighbours have many purple Martin houses. This year out of 150 nesting pairs they’ve lost 50 to a red shouldered hawk. He says it is upsetting because then the babies in the nest die, yet the hawk does need to eat. However these are easy pickings so it’s like fast food, sad. I have always loved watching pelicans, from lakes in north-central Alberta to the Gulf in Florida to here in Ontario on Lake Erie, where there are few.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sweet little mini... front AND back!!

QuiltGranma said...

Very interesting post! So glad the cicadas are not screaming in our back yard in Oregon! Love your mug rug, so cute! I went to sew today, and the machine would not turn on... problem with the power cord! Borrowed one from another machine of mine that uses the same kind of connection. Should be able to sew now!

Paulette said...

Thanks! We are due for the big 17-year cicada cycle in WI in 2024. This year, they're only a minor background buzz on hot days. I like the sound of cicadas. Seeing them up close and alive is another thing, lol. Glad you could borrow a cord and get up and running again. Good to have a backup!