Friday, December 4, 2020

The Weird and the Wild

Well, that was weird.  I just got an email of one of my old blog posts from 2018, apparently sent out by my feed burner.  I apologize if any of you who subscribe by email got one, too.  I have no idea how that happened.  So random!

But since we're here, I might as well give you a peek at what I've been working on this past week.  Deconstructing vintage ties!


A friend gave me a trove of her late husband's neckties to make her something from them.


I haven't decided what I'll make, but I have a few ideas percolating.  In the meantime, I'm admiring each one that I'm taking apart, hand washing, and pressing.  I do a few every day.  Here are about a dozen fully processed ones hanging from my file drawer pulls.


This past week I've watched more YouTube videos and learned more about vintage ties and fabric care than I would have ever imagined!


I learned, for instance, that "a tie is not a tie," as far as fabric goes.  You might think they're all "silk" but they can be acetate, Dacron, wool, rayon, or a blend.  And how they behave when they're washed and ironed will vary, depending on the fabric content, weave, dyes, etc.


At first glance, I thought this print was of butterfly wings or birds.  On closer inspection, though, they weren't birds; they were planes—and parachutes!  A handful of this group of ties are real silk, and this is one of them.

They're all fabulous, though.  They run the gamut from the late 1940s through the 1980s, I'm guessing, but I'm no expert (yet!).  It's like sifting through a time capsule, a lifetime in ties. 


Wide, skinny, short, long, lined or simply rolled edge.  Such a variety, and I'm really enjoying handling each one.


I hope I can do them justice in the final project(s).  Stay tuned!

6 comments:

Kathy E. said...

What a great assortment of ties! My first thought when I saw your photo was to make a Christmas tree skirt out of them, but perhaps your friend would like something she can enjoy year-round. It will be lovely and so sentimental, whatever you make! I'll stay tuned!

Marei said...

Oh to be able to work with silk ties! I would love that. I have no doubt that you'll do something wonderful with all the varieties of fabrics in these ties. The "obvious" thing would be Dresden plates, but I bet you're going to be a bit more creative. I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to do!!

Verveine et Lin said...

oh la la quelle collection!
one of my friends made a quilt few years ago with ties: a peacock quilt.
a half Dresden plate block for peacock's tails, and appliqué for the body
(I'm afraid my english is awfull, sorry!)
Bonne journée!

Muriel

QuiltGranma said...

What a lovely bunch of ties! Have fun with these babies! Perhaps a pillow for her couch, a Christmas tree skirt, and if you feel really generous a Crazy quilt... they had everything but the kitchen sink in them.

Anonymous said...

What a fun project! I can remember a small throw my great grandmother made from ties. It was so pretty. I can’t wait to see yours!

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com

The Joyful Quilter said...

You have a challenging, but rewarding project before you! I made a Tie Quilt a couple of years ago. Remarkably, I was able to get a 6" square out of nearly every one!