Friday, April 23, 2021

April Table Scraps Challenge - Mug Rugs from Leftovers

After seeing the 45 record mug rugs I made in last month's challenge, a friend asked if I would make her a set of four.  She told me the colors in her living room:  gray, blue, black, beige.  I found some scraps and made some that I thought might work.  I'll be getting them to her soon and I hope she likes them.


As I was finishing those the other day, it prompted me to get something together for this month's link-up.  I had recently sent most of the contents of my orphan blocks box to my quilter friend Marei (at her request; I didn't do it for spite, I promise), but I set aside a couple things to finish myself as mug rugs.

I had four leftover HSTs from a flannel and corduroy quilt I made a few years back that had such a lovely, soft texture.  I put them together in an hourglass-type configuration and straight-line quilted them.  It's the kind of mug rug you want to pick up and handle now and then just to get that tactile fix.  :)  I'd say it's no longer corduroy and flannel season here, but after this week's late spring flurries and graupel (think Dippin' Dots kind of sleet), that wouldn't be entirely correct.


The other one is from a sample block I made from neckties when I was working on a memory quilt for a friend a few months back.  (You can see how that project turned out HERE.)  In particular, I had tried out a quilting idea, which I didn't end up using in the end.  I saved the block, though, and put a purple batik border on it this week so it's usable as a mug rug.


A couple quick and easy finishes, but it's all good!


Linking to The Joyful Quilter: Table Scraps Challenge.

7 comments:

grammajudyb said...

Way to go! Making do with what you had! My kinda project!

Ivani said...

So cool!!

Quilting Babcia said...

We all need those quick and simple finishes sometimes to give us hope that the neverending projects will too be a finish one day. Love those two mug rugs you made from your leftovers.

The Joyful Quilter said...

The Record mug rugs for your friend would totally have counted for this month's challenge, Paulette. Bonus points for using up some orphan blocks, too!

Kaja said...

I remember the corduroy and am rather tickled by the idea of people pausing to give your mug rugs a quick stroke. I'm not surprised someone wanted you to make the 45 mug rugs for them.

Kathy S. said...

Your record coasters are adorable!

Anonymous said...

i’m betting your friend loves those 45 mug rugs. So cool! And your others are so pretty! I want to touch them!

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com