Monday, June 28, 2021

County Fair is a Flimsy

What I had anticipated 10 days ago would be a quick finish of the Debbie Mumm County Fair quilt took a week longer, but now it's officially a flimsy, a completed quilt top.


It seemed that just when I thought the end was right around the corner, there were a few more steps.  All those big 24-1/2 inch blocks needed corner triangles (some in three different fabrics).  And since I'm the kind of person who gets antsy after an hour and a half of anything, even something I enjoy, it took, well, as long as it took.

I'm very happy with the end result, though.  Well worth the time spent.  


It's a big one, too, at 89 x 89 inches.  I had to climb over the furniture to get a good shot of it, taking up just about all the floor space available in the room.


I noticed while final pressing it that I had one little piece of fabric reversed so the back side of the fabric was showing.  Not obvious enough to take the whole block or section apart and redo, though.  I doubt anyone will notice, and word has it the quilt police are as easily distracted by squirrels as the rest of us, so no worries!

This quilt project was a kit that came to me via Jo's Country Junction, when Jo was looking for people who might want to finish and donate some of the things that came to her from her readers.  The reader who sent this to her was "Connie in Wisconsin."  Connie had most of the quilt already cut out and bagged according to the six block-of-the-month instructions that went along with it, and had begun piecing on some of the installments.  I was able to figure out where she'd left off with each bit and take it from there.


The copyright date of this quilt pattern was 2003.  It may have taken awhile, Connie, but we got it done!


The top and fabric for the backing and binding are now on their way to Ray in Florida, who will quilt and finish it for donation.  I love being a small part of the village of quilters busting UFOs like this for a good cause. 


 

6 comments:

Robin said...

Nice finish. It isn't easy to pick up someone else's project and make headway on it. Kudos to you! I have or had some of the border sunflower fabric. I think it got used for a backing. Debbie Mumm made some fun stuff in her heyday. Would love to see those days come back.

Quilting Babcia said...

This is a great finish, or round robin if you will. So worth the time everyone has and will put into the final quilt.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Wow, what a great chain of contributors!!! Love that sunflower block! I was a big fan of Debbie Mumm back in the day.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Woot-woot!!!

Anonymous said...

So awesome, Paulette! It’s a beautiful quilt top. Someone will be thrilled!

Michelle

Roxanne said...

What a lovely finish to this donated kit!