Friday, January 28, 2022

Table Scraps Challenge - January 2022

"In the meadow we can build a snowman..."  

The prompt for this month's table scraps challenge was snowman.  As you'll see, I went at it from a less literal angle and more from the potential for a snowman. 

I had in mind to use the leftovers from my Plaid Peaks baby quilt from 2020.  Right after I finished that quilt, I took the plaid shirt scraps and sewed them together and then cut them into random triangle shapes.


My thought at the time, per the parting words of that 2020 post, was:  "I envision a mini-quilt where these little 'trees' are appliqued on a background.  Maybe a winter theme of some kind."

Enter January's Table Scraps Challenge, which provided the perfect excuse to do just that.


But incorporating the snowman prompt gave me pause.  A slight shift in perspective, to that of a place where you could build a snowman, did the trick for me.  I was reminded of the line from one of my favorite holiday tunes, "Winter Wonderland."

"In the meadow we can build a snowman..."  

Kind of like the line in Field of Dreams, "If you build it, they will come."  Okay, maybe that's a stretch.  We're not talking zombie snowmen here.


Anyway, I'll set the scene, I thought.  Snowy field, starry sky, a patch of pines.  You get the picture.


And then...I saw a red plaid scrap in the drawer.  A lost scarf, perhaps?  Why yes, the perfect accessory for a potential snowman.

Which my husband thought was a worm when I showed him the finished runner.  A worm!?

Suddenly, one questions one's design choices.


Ah well, I thought it was whimsical.  Maybe it'll stay, or maybe it'll blow away?


Details:  Fused and machine appliqued on a snow/sky curve-pieced background; wavy line quilted in Sulky "Holoshimmer" thread; trees and binding from thrifted plaid shirts; measures about 14-1/2 x 30 inches.

Linking to:  The Joyful Quilter - January 2022 Table Scraps Challenge

~Paulette 

11 comments:

Connie W. said...

WoW! The trees, the sky, the binding and the red scarf are terrific!
Connie

Quilting Babcia said...

This is the second wonderful winter tree quilt I've seen in the past couple days. I just love those plaids with the polkadot sky!

Quilting Babcia said...

You could always call it Memories of Snowmen Past. This is the second small quilt with plaid trees in a winter setting theme that I've seen this week. Love them both! I especially love your bold plaids and the polkadot sky.

Vicki in MN said...

Oh I love those scrappy trees!!!

Angie in SoCal said...

Wow - you are an improv Queen. That little scarf is just the right touch for this snowman prompt.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, no!! Frosty lost his magic scarf! SEW glad that the January TABLE SCRAPS Challenge was just the incentive you needed to make use of those leftover bits, Paulette. I absolutely LOVE your little quilt!!

Deb A said...

What a great inspired piece of art you have created! I LOVE that whimsical scarf just waiting for someone to build a snowman with.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh, that is so cute! I love the story that your scene shows, and all with scraps. It looks perfect on your table with a snowman friend, too!

grammajudyb said...

Well I love it!” Do you wanna build a snowman?” I’ll bring the carrot and the top hat!

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love this mini quilt, so fun! When I saw the plaid red, I immediately thought 'A Scarf!' Men just don't know how to use their imagination. Happy stitching!

Anonymous said...

I love it, Paulette! And the scarf looked like a scarf to me from the moment I saw it. Awesome winter piece!

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com