Thursday, December 14, 2023

Part Two as Promised

After the summer whooping crane sightings, we visited the International Crane Foundation in Baraboo, Wisconsin to learn more about these fascinating birds and ongoing conservation work on their behalf. 


It was really a neat place where you can stroll the grounds and see cranes of all kinds up close and learn as you go along. 

(Black-Crowned Crane)

(Siberian Crane)

(Wattled Crane)

I highly recommend it if you are ever in the south central Wisconsin area.


* * * * *

In the sewing room, there were a couple more small quilts in process.  I made this blue and green Piccadilly Circus quilt, following the YouTube tutorial by Jo's Country Junction.


As soon as I had posted pictures of the finished quilt on my Facebook page, a friend inquired about it for his new grandson.  So I didn't have it in my hands for long, but that was fun.  I may have to make another one sometime.

Another impromptu quilt came about when I decided to make a bunch of half-square triangles from a couple of brightly colored charm packs a friend gave me a year or so ago.


On the design wall, I initially put them up all going in one direction.  That was okay, but I kept playing.  I liked this better, so I sewed it up like that.


Now it's waiting to be quilted.

* * * * *

My friend Gwen, whom I've known from school days, is an accomplished artist now based in Minnesota.  She mainly does landscapes, but since 2020 has done a series featuring grazing cattle called "Another Point of Moo" with whimsical and often humorous titles.

One day I saw a funny picture online of a cow grazing under a wash line, where the clothes on the line looked like another cow suspended in midair.  I forwarded her the picture and, just for the fun of it, offered a "Point of Moo" type caption.  She got a kick out of it.

Fast forward a few months when she told me she would be sending me something.  This is what came in the mail!


She even put my caption on the back.  How cool is that!  I love it so much!


In return, I made her a piece of quilted art and sent it off.  She has painted crows as well as cows in her work, so I thought she might like this.


If it looks familiar, it's because I made something similar several years ago, which you can see in my blog header.  I recreated one like it for Gwen, which she loved.

* * * * *


More pictures from the summer:  My sister and her granddaughter Cali and I went to see the Rodin exhibit at The Paine in Oshkosh.  


It was amazing to be among some of the famous Rodin sculptures on the grounds of the beautiful Paine mansion and gardens.




And speaking of beautiful gardens, friends and I toured the labyrinth garden in West Bend on an equally gorgeous summer day.  


So many lovely flowers to see as you make your way along the 90-foot wide labyrinth path.  


It was peak season for the many lily varieties when we went.



Thanks for coming along on a short recap of some of the highlights of the past several months while I wasn't "here" on the blog.  It was fun to revisit them with you!

~Paulette

5 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Fun to see what you've been up to! We would love the crane foundation exhibit. Your quilt projects are beautiful, and the crow piece looks like the perfect gift for your friend! Her Point of Moo painting is a hoot!

Leslie Schmidt said...

I really got a kick out of your friend's painting and both of your senses of humor. You guys must be a riot together.

I grew up in southern Wisconsin, not too far from Baraboo. Were the cranes really noisy? There are some gorgeous examples of the different types of cranes.

Your quilts are beautiful. I'm not surprised the blue and green one was snatched up so quickly. And I like the version of the half-square triangle quilt that you decided on. It's striking.

Thanks for the little travelogue.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a fun gift your friend painted! SEW sweet of you to make her a quilt in return, Paulette.

Michelle said...

The cranes are really striking birds - especially the black crowned crane. I am glad they are working to prevent extinction. And both of your summer quilts are beautiful! So nice that Piccadilly Circus went to a new baby. I’m always amazed by sculptors. My brain just doesn’t work that way. As for the gardens - love the pics! I always love looking at flowers.

Michelle said...

Oh! And I forgot to mention your friend’s cow painting, and your crow. How very cool! And what fun. I really got a giggle when you thought you saw a cow on a line. Ha!