Tuesday, August 2, 2016

July Circles for Quilty 365

Where did the month of July go?  It seemed to fly by!  

I got a little behind on the Quilty 365 circles in July because I was working on a couple other things, namely, the Pulse quilt and the start of a new baby quilt.

I did get caught up on circles by the end of the month, though.  All's well that ends well!

The theme for July was black-with-bright fabrics.  Thanks to a scrap swap with fellow quilter friend Marei last year, as well as my own scraps and stash, I had it covered.  

I've always loved black fabrics with bright accents.  Way back in the day, when I was about 11 or 12 and shopping for an Easter dress, I saw the coolest matching skirt and blouse, black with little bright flowers on it and some kind of lace trim at the bodice.  I remember my dad didn't think wearing black on Easter was appropriate, but thankfully Mom sided with me and I got the outfit.  Unfortunately, I was growing so fast, I don't remember wearing it much after Easter, but it still remains one of my all-time favorites.

When I started sewing a lot of my own clothes in the 1970s, those wild, silky polyester prints were really in style.  I remember making a black with bright floral accents long-sleeved silky blouse.  It had a mandarin collar that tied together with a spaghetti string bow.  Hard to describe, but it was pretty cool.  While I didn't wear it for long myself—this time because my teenage sense of style changed on a whim—my mom borrowed it and wore it often to work, as a hostess and bartender at a supper club at the time.  I remember feeling pretty good about the fact that she liked something I made well enough to adopt it into her own wardrobe.  It wouldn't be the last time either.

Since I started the Quilty 365 project on January 1, I have 213 circles done.  August's color theme is yellow.  I'm pretty sure I don't have 31 different yellows in the stash, but we'll see how it goes. 

Linking to:  Quilty Folk

16 comments:

Chicken said...

If you run out of black, I could probably send you my wardrobe, haha. I look forward to seeing the August yellows!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Love the black, makes all the colors pop.
Have a great day!

Bonnie said...

Do love the black!!!

Bonnie said...

Do love the black!!!

Karen's Korner said...

Such pretty circles.

Quilting Babcia said...

It's always such fun to see your circles. I love your color-a-month theme.

Summer said...

These are so pretty ♥

summerdaisy.net

Marly said...

Such pretty circles; I like black with a splash of bright colour too for clothes, but strangely I've never used it in quilting! you've given me an idea!

Sarah Craig said...

Ooh, those are so lush and rich looking - nothing quite like brights on black!

Kaja said...

These are pretty cool! I'm looking forward to seeing the quilt that comes out of your one colour a month approach.

Susan C. said...

Well done! Loving the monthly themes. Another approach to this simple concept that continues to showcase so many ways to be different. I love seeing how we all approach this 365 quilt. Cannot wait to see what awaits after the year is up.

Kevin the Quilter said...

The blacks are great, but, I am loving your delectable background fabrics. Of course, I am a sucker for neutrals though. Please tell me where July went.......not to mention June or May???

audrey said...

Very fun!

Sharon said...

These are great! I too love brights on black, and have a good collection of them. I suppose it might be time to use them in a project? hee hee!

Unknown said...

Your circles are beautiful. I keep saying that I am going to start one of these I even bought the circle templates. I am so glad to see this post as I see now that you actually have batting cut to put under them. I had not noticed that before. Maybe we need a refresher tutorial on how you are making these blocks. hint.... mary
mburnette912@bellsouth.net

Paulette said...

Thanks Mary. I was going to reply by email but your comment is set to "no-reply" so I hope you see this response here. I'd be happy to show more step by step how I've been making my circle blocks. I think everyone in Quilty 365 is doing their own thing, i.e., some are doing needle-turn applique, some reverse applique, etc. Unfortunately, I don't have batting cut yet; what you're maybe seeing in the photos is my mini-design board that the blocks are up on, which is a piece of foam core board with a double layer of a white flannel sheet covering it so the pieces stick to the flannel. I wish I were as organized to have batting cut (or a plan for the final layout), but I don't. Thanks again for the comment and hint! :)