Friday, May 3, 2019

Blooming String Baskets Quilt Flimsy

I think this is it, friends.  This is the string basket flimsy ("Blooming String Baskets") as of today. 
I was going to add a narrow stop border and a six-inch outer border, but for the life of me, I couldn't see it working.  I pondered this, that, and the other thing.  Auditioned various fabric combinations, but nothing seemed quite right. 
Then I got out the tape measure, and as is, it's a respectable 65x85 (-ish), which I am content with.  Why add more fabric and more weight for me to fling off in the middle of the night, mid-hot flash?  (Keeping it real.)

Now I could see, perhaps, some fun applique in those tan setting triangles.  But right now, as far as a vision on that, I've got nothin'.  Maybe something will occur to me (or not) while this one waits in the quilting queue.  I'm open for suggestions.
(Mama Mallard on the neighbor's roof this morning.)
As far as the layout of this quilt, I considered a few options and put them in a Facebook post for people to weigh in on.  



The consensus seemed to be the one with the baskets oriented vertically (an on-point setting--the third one above), so that's how it went together.

And then, halfway through sewing it together, I decided that setting the entire thing with Kona Snow was way too much...Snow.  Which is how I've felt about late winter/early spring in general, coincidentally.
So I took apart half the quilt and recut the setting triangles in a straw basket-colored fabric (yes, that's the way my brain worked it out).  The new version, I think, contains the flower baskets as a central theme, instead of having them sitting in a drift of Snow.

My favorite thing about this quilt was piecing the string baskets themselves.  (I talked a bit about how I did that in THIS post.)  
The inspiration came from the "American Picnic" quilt in the book Simply Strings by Rana Heredia.




Piecing, in general, is what I like most about making a quilt.  Do you have a favorite part of the process?

Linking to:  
Humble Quilts:  Linky Up! String Quilt Progress!
Confessions of a Fabric Addict:  Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?

8 comments:

Danice G said...

Beautiful baskets. I also love piecing a quilt. It would be difficult to choose my most fun part of the process though.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, how I love your newly completed quilt top!! The "straw basket" setting triangles was DEFINITELY the way to go (as far as I am concerned.) I will be adding this quilt to my To Make List. As if I needed ANOTHER!!!

Marei said...

YES!! I really like your background and think it does, in fact, contain those baskets rather than having them frozen to a snowy background. Beautifully done, Paulette....as ALWAYS. As I'm sure you know, piecing is my favorite part of making a quilt. My 2nd favorite part is when I put my little label on that puppy proving it is DONE!!

Quilting Babcia said...

Love those baskets and the new setting fabric is much more pleasing than a drift of the much overworked Kona snow. I love piecing much more than quilting, but the last stitch on the binding is best of all!

eileen said...

Really pretty baskets, and I love the setting!
My first love is piecing and colour planning, that's why I have so many tops to quilt!!!!

Kaja said...

I really, really like how this has turned out and definitely prefer less snow. Like you, I like piecing best.

Lori said...

I adore your basket blocks!! So many terrific options for setting them too!!

Nicole said...

I like this loads and loads. Very nicely done. Good luck with the quilting of it!