Sunday, July 25, 2021

Scrappy Rail Fence is a Flimsy

The scrappy simple rail fence quilt is now a flimsy.  I actually thought it was done a week or so ago, but after laying it out on the living room floor, it looked like it need some additional length if I was going to use it as a throw.  So I added two more rows and that brought it to around 54 x 72, which seems just about right.


There is quite the eclectic mix of fabrics in this thing, which isn't everybody's cup of tea, but I quite like it!


This was my "easy enough to sew one-handed" project while my left hand was in the splint after surgery.  I got my stitches out last Monday and now only have to use the splint at night for another month or so.  The two rows that I added were good therapy for my newly-freed left hand, and I was able to gently use my ruler again to cut a few more bricks.


I still have a pretty scabby area in the crease of the finger joint, so I'm  bandaging it until that heals up a little more.  The pinky is straight, though—woo hoo!  When I change the bandage, I gently massage some Vaseline on it to keep things soft, and then I run through my hand exercises.  Things are coming along.  I have one more therapy appointment on Wednesday.

My sister-in-law came over with her chainsaw yesterday and helped my husband remove an overgrown shrub (tree?) that was obscuring one of our front windows.  It was probably planted at least 25 years ago and had grown to about 8 feet high and 6 feet across.  Now that it's gone, let there be light!  My living room is brighter and already the houseplants seem to be standing a little taller.

For all her hard work (it was such a hot day, and to further complicate things they ran into a metal spike in the center of the trunk!), I had her pick out a quilt from a few I thought she might like.  She chose this one.


I made this several years ago, but had never used it.  I'm glad it now has a new home where it can be enjoyed.  She says it looks great on the back of her sofa in her living room.  That makes me happy to hear, and it's so much better than languishing on a shelf in my quilt closet.

* * * * *

I've had some luck at the thrift store the few times that I've been there this summer.  The other day, I bought this bag of fabric.  It was sealed so I couldn't look through it in the store, but it seemed totally worth a shot for two bucks.  


Look at these sweet scraps!  A pretty watercolor batik, modern and reproduction fabrics.


Firehouse dogs!  Pirate cats!  Hee-hee!  Those will go into kennel quilts.  There were a couple half- and quarter-yard pieces, but most were fat quarter size or less.  All totally usable stuff.


Several weeks back, at the same store, I had another good haul, including a brand new t-shirt for yours truly with the tags still on it. I don't usually use poly batting, but I will use this for kennel quilts. 

I seem to have the best luck on fabric and sewing notions at that particular store.


This large zipper pouch was in brand new condition for $2.  Check out those super cute llamas!  It has a waterproof lining and can carry anything from makeup to lunch to sewing notions.

* * * * *

I'd like to start a quilt for a nephew, my sister-in-law's adult son.  I've made his sisters and their babies all quilts, but would like to make one for him, too.  He has his own place, which is decorated mostly in neutrals (tan, gray, etc.) and his mom says he'd probably like something along those lines, nothing too wild.  If you have any ideas for that kind of a quilt, feel free to share them in the comments.  I'd still like to make it scrappy, but in neutral or natural tones.


 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this scrappy quilt! I’m all about the scraps. I’m so glad your finger is healing well. The quilt your sister in law chose is beautiful! Lucky her! And what a score at the thrift store!

Cindy said...

Love the scrappy Rail Fence. I don't think I have ever seen one done scrappy. And I like it a lot!!!! I think a Rail Fence would also work nicely for your nephew in those neutral colors. Thanks for sharing.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice job on that lovely quilt top, Paulette. LOVE it!! You were sweet to treat your SIL with a quilty gift for her services on that hot day. What luck with those thrift scores!!

Kaja said...

I've never found actual fabric like that - only things that I can chop up. I like a nice scrappy quilt - they swallow up stuff that would never fit somewhere else and somehow make it all look good. Very glad to see your hand is healing.

Carolyn said...

I love your scrappy top. I made a quilt for my mom who decorates with neutrals, and I struggled to choose a pattern. I am not a low-volume girl! I ended up using the Turning 20 pattern, and it turned out well.

Paulette said...

Thank you, and thanks for your input on a neutral toned quilt!

patty a. said...

What a score at the thrift store! The scrappy stair step zig zag quilt is wonderful!