Sunday, October 30, 2022

Table Scraps Challenge - October 2022

This month's Table Scraps Challenge prompts were lime/light green and joy, however you may wish to interpret that. 

I had some pieces of pinkish-purple and green batik fabrics which had already been sewn together into strips (see them in the middle of the left-hand side of the photo below).  These were part of the thrift store haul of batik fabrics a few months back.


I had enough of the strip sets to make something small.  I followed a fun tutorial from Connie Kresin's blog, Freemotion by the River, called Hidden Wells.  By sewing a couple of strip sets together and cutting them into squares, then sewing those together per the tutorial, I made this cute little table topper.


Mine turned out about 20-1/2 inches square (my starting squares were a bit smaller than 8-1/2 inches, more like 8-1/4). I had juuust enough strips to squeak this out, which was great!  


The joy part is the fun of making things like this; also, I'm finding a lot of joy in the fall season and the beautiful colors we've enjoyed over the past few weeks. 


 



We found these cool ginkgo leaves on a walk through the park. I loved watching them turn from lime green to greenish-yellow-brown in the space of a few days. 


I was tempted to try to applique some ginkgo shaped leaves onto this table topper but decided to save that idea for another time.


The back (above) is pieced from more batik strip scraps and another piece of fabric. That side maybe looks more fall-like.  Flip a coin—or flip sides—I like both! 

Linking to:  The Joyful Quilter-Table Scraps Challenge

~Paulette 

7 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Isn't that pretty?! I love green and purple together. Beautiful fall leaves where you are, too. Love your photos!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Beautiful use of those thrifted batiks, Paulette!! SEW glad you have enjoyed creating with them! Thanks for linking up with the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge.

Mary from Arkansas said...

I love you table scraps table topper. It's very nice looking and I would love one like it. So pretty and looks very nice.

Quilting Babcia said...

What a beautiful table topper! Thanks for sharing the link for the "how-to", I need to try this with some of my batik scrappy pieces.

Michelle said...

As you know. I love green and purple together. This topper is beautiful! And what a cool technique. You have had a beautiful Fall. We have too.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Paulette, what a lovely quilt - I love the pattern and your fabric. Lots of joy all around! Take care.

Conways said...

I love purple and green together;)