Wednesday, February 15, 2023

You Have to Start Somewhere

It's been almost four months since I poked my head in here, and I'm not sure where to begin!

I guess, for starters, I'll tell you about this little quilt I recently finished.  

This wonky log cabin quilt came about as I was sorting scraps into piles on my cutting table after having made a crib quilt for my cousin from thrifted shirts.  She had seen my Ship Shape quilt on Facebook in December when I was offering it and a few others for sale.  My quilt closet was overflowing so I thought I'd try to move a few from my home to someone else's.  

I ended up selling three and generating some commission quilts in the process.  My cousin asked if I could make a baby quilt version of the Ship Shape quilt for her grandson, as well as two other baby quilts for her newest granddaughters.  


Here's how the "Mini-Ship Shape" quilt turned out. It's more like crib quilt size, about 46x55.


(Back side of Mini-Ship Shape; the center creasing is from where it was folded)

Getting back to the wonky log cabin quilt...  As I was saying, I was sorting through the shirt scraps from Mini-Ship Shape when it occurred to me to make some wonky log cabin blocks with the leftovers.  

I started free piecing strips, which I then squared up to 6.5 inches.  Pretty soon I had 16 blocks done, which I arranged on the design board like this.


I took a quick picture and posted it on Facebook where a friend saw it and messaged me to the effect, "Whatever you're making, I'd like to buy it."  What an pleasant surprise!  I told her it was going to be small as I didn't have enough scraps to make a big quilt.  She said that was fine; she wanted it for her young grandson for a picnic quilt.  Okay!


So I made as many blocks as I could from the pile of shirt scraps and put them together with a light gray sashing and border for a little quilt that ended up around 48 inches square.  I think it turned out pretty cute!


My friend said she'd like two more similar size picnic quilts for her granddaughters, done in whatever scrappy style I'd like.  I have one of the tops done and another is currently in the works.  More on those later, too.  I'm making good use of the stash and scraps.  It's been fun!

Linking to:  Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict

~Paulette

8 comments:

Lisa England said...

I love wonky log cabin quilts and have made a bunch of them. Yours is lovely! Setting the blocks with the light grey sashing frames the blocks nicely, what a good idea.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love those wonky log cabins!!! Great use of shirtings!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Welcome back to BlogLand, Paulette! It's good to see that you've been playing in your scraps since you've been away. Congrats on those sweet income generating quilts!!

Cindy B said...

The little wonky LC is just adorable!!!!! And the grey sashing really sets off the blocks... Well done Paulette!!!! Thanks for sharing & inspiring!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good to find your post today! Love the wonky shirting log blocks - I passed along the remains of my shirtings to a friend in PA who does the most amazing things with them. Good for you for selling and getting commissioned quilts.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I've not seen a wonky log cabin before but I really like it! I like that you chose a subtle sashing and let the log cabin blocks be the star of the show!

Michelle said...

I love both of these quilts! I don’t think I’ve actually seen a wonky log cabin before. I like the gray background with these blocks. Very cool! And Ship Shape is awesome. Nice that you are able to generate a little revenue too.

audrey said...

These are fantastic looking! I really love the little pop of red/orange in the last quilt. So very sweet with the shirting vibe. Love them.:)