Monday, April 17, 2023

Mistakes Were Made

Nobody's perfect.  As quilters, we can tolerate certain imperfections.  Sometimes they're what makes a quilt uniquely beautiful.


However, this sampler quilt that I've been working on has had me shaking my head on more than one occasion over the pattern directions.  That's it above on the design wall earlier today, partially sewn together, before I fixed the big star block on the lower right.

Granted it was a freebie pattern I found online and I appreciate that, but I'm also glad to have the wherewithal to notice the boo-boos and fix them.  Someone else may have given up in frustration.


It was possible I had goofed in constructing the half-rectangular units such that the points would be blunted once the top was sewn together (see red circled areas below).  In fact, I considered leaving it as is.  So what if the points of the stars didn't end where they should have?  Would the recipient notice and/or care?  Maybe, maybe not. 

But since I had leftover fabric and the willingness to investigate the error, I went back to the drawing board.  I remade a test half-rectangle unit per the cutting instructions and trimmed it to size per the instructions.  The result was... exactly the same.  Ugh.

It seemed to me I needed to cut the triangular pieces longer, but by how much?  I continued to make two more test samples before finally hitting upon the dimensions that seemed to work.  Turns out I needed to add 1.5 inches to the length.  That's not an insignificant "fudge factor."

My recalculations may not be perfect, but it's definitely looking better.  I may lose a tiny bit of the point in the seam allowance, but I can accept that.


Cutting directions were wrong for the pinwheel block, too.  It had me cutting fabric squares at 4.5 inches to make HSTs, but that was, in fact, the trimmed HST size.  I questioned it when I cut the squares, but I sewed it up per the instructions anyway...only to have to recut the pieces and do it again correctly.  Sometimes I can work against my better judgment just to prove a point, ha!

There were other pattern errors in the dimensions of finished blocks, and more.  You get the idea.

But these blocks turned out fine.  I used a light blue thrifted shirt fabric in the lower block.  The other large plaid in the quilt is yardage, not a shirt.


These wavy blocks are okay.  If I were to do them over (which I'm not), I'd pay closer attention to trimming them.  Hopefully, the minor jags will disappear with the quilting.


Anyway, I'm on track to finish the top after a few more minutes with the seam ripper. Yahoo! 

Linking to:  Hands2Help Comfort Quilt Check-In and Design Wall Monday

~Paulette


8 comments:

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

your quilt is coming along sweetly and I'm sure it will be loved! kudos to you for re-working the blocks!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh but the mistakes make you a better quilter ( haha - that is what I tell myself.... maybe???) This quilt is really pretty!!!

Michelle at https://mybijoulifeonline.com said...

Wow! I’m glad you persisted. I really like that star block. And the whole quilt is looking so nice! I love the plaid shirt fabric in it.

Vicki in MN said...

Wow you had a lot to overcome with this quilt, but you persevered and are on the way to a great finish.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Whoops! You may want to consider suggesting your fixes to the designer. They may not have realized the problem. Did you look for any errata that may have been posted online? I know that's sometimes available for knitting patterns.

Marti said...

I would never have noticed anything with the star block, but it's always different when it's your own quilt you are looking at. I bet it will look perfect after quilting and washing. I like it now, especially the shirting fabrics in it.

Kaja said...

I admire your persistence! I would probably have given up after my first attempt at a fix, but your final version does look better. I like the plaid shirt in the mix a lot.

Nancy said...

What impresses me about this quilt you're making using the pattern you have is that you realized there was a problem and that it probably wasn't caused by you. I would probably have thought that I just messed up either cutting or the sewing of the star block. Your quilt will be beautiful when it's finished. It's an unusual and striking pattern. It's just too bad about all the challenges with the pattern itself.