Saturday, May 6, 2023

Blue Sampler and H2H Quilt Tops Done

I finished a couple donation quilt tops and mailed them out this week.

You may recall from my last post that I was making a blue sampler quilt with the intention of donating it as part of the Hands2Help Comfort Quilt Challenge.  There were a few hitches in the pattern, but I worked them out.  


Around the time I was finishing that top, I read a blog post on Jo's Country Junction where one of her charity quilt finishers, Ray in Florida, mentioned a Veterans Day church dinner this coming fall that he was involved in.  He requested if anyone had any patriotic quilt tops they wanted to donate for the event, to send them his way.


It just so happened that I had been thinking the blue sampler would make a nice quilt for a veteran as I was working on it.  So I decided to send it to Ray and then make a different quilt for Hands2Help.

Ray also noted in the comments section of Jo's post, "I could also use some red/white/blue UFO blocks that will finish at 12 inches. I can put some blocks together and make a sampler quilt out of the blocks." 

It sounded like a great use for some of the scraps left over from the blue quilt, so I made a few RWB blocks to send along with the quilt top.


I mailed out the top and blocks to Ray earlier this week, along with some red strips for the binding.  Ray intends to quilt it in red thread.  I think that's going to look great!


If you have any patriotic quilt tops or red/white/blue blocks that will finish at 12 inches, you might consider sending them to Ray.  His contact information can be found on this page of Jo's Country Junction blog, where he is number 18 in the list.

Having decided to pivot and send the blue sampler quilt elsewhere, I then did a fabric pull for a Trip Around the World top for the Hands2Help Challenge.  


All of these were either thrifted or gifted, not that I intended it that way, but it's the way it worked out.  It felt good to be finally giving these fabrics the opportunity to realize their full potential. Check out this selvage!


As it came together, I was digging the old-timey vibe the muted color combination was giving me.  There is a softness to it that I hope someone will find comforting. 


The top has now been sent off to MCC, one of the H2H 2023 partners, where it will be tied and sent to either Turkey or Ukraine, where the need is greatest right now.


That's the update from my sewing room.  What are you working on?


Linking to:  Can I Get a Whoop Whoop and Finished or Not Friday

~Paulette

7 comments:

Robin said...

Thanks for the info about red, white, and blue tops. I don't have one made but I have the blocks ready to assemble. I love the soft colors of your trip around the world quilt top. I'm sure someone will be thrilled to have it.

Gretchen Weaver said...

The blue sampler quilt is very pretty. Ray will do a good job with the quilting. Thank you for sending a quilt top to MCC to be knotted. They send thousands of comforters to be used by refugees or persons affected by disasters. Your quilts will be a blessing to whoever receives them.

Michelle at https://mybijoulifeonline.com said...

Both of these quilts are lovely! The sampler is perfect for a veteran! And came out beautifully. The Around the World quilt looks like a hug to me. Perfect.

I’ve been playing in the garden whenever I can, and my poor quilting room has been totally neglected.

Sandra Walker said...

I think the softness of the 1980s vintage (did a little chuckle at that) Trip Around the World will be a perfect comfort quilt. The other one is really pretty too.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is such a pretty quilt and a veteran will love it!!
Your new one is so soft and soothing!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a kind and generous soul, Paulette. Ready and the MCC will be SEW pleased with your support through those donations!

The Joyful Quilter said...

**WHOOPS!! Make that RAY and the MCC.