Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sunday Sundry - Vol. 18

Oh, the weather outside is frightful...
What's your local forecast today?  Does it include the word "blizzard"?

Actually, it doesn't look too bad out there right now.  Maybe it'll miss us...or perhaps the worst is yet to come. 


Let it snow, let it snow...and I'll sew 
I have gotten a fair amount of sewing done this week, although there is some quiltus interruptus going on as well.  When you've got multiple irons in the fire, that's bound to happen.

I made a backing for the whirlygig Christmas quilt, which took some  mathematical calculations and a pencil sketch to make it all work.  The backing fabric came in three separate pieces from fabric.com (but it was on clearance and the last bit left, so whaddaya want?), plus I had ordered a panel from this line on a whim, and that proved to be a good thing.  I used every bit of the turquoise snowflake print with only a teensy bit of scrap left over.  There were also some ornaments on the lower part of the panel that I think I'm going to fuse and machine applique randomly to the backing.  But then, in order to baste the thing on the only hard surface large enough to do so—my kitchen floor—we're going to have to go to the home supply store and see if we can find some new casters for our antique dining table, so we can roll it out of the way without cutting up the new floor.  We've tried the furniture sliders already and it didn't work.

Winter Sunshine
The mail lady delivered a box of sunshine this week when I received this wall hanging from my buddy Michelle over at The Prairie Quilter.  It's just gorgeous!


And that's the name of it too, Winter Sunshine, which is so perfect!  Look at the feather quilting, so beautiful! 


It went right up on my wall here in my office.  She also sent along a fun Big Bad Voodoo Daddy CD.  Thanks so much, Michelle!  I love it—especially on a day like today!

The Blessings of Friends
I have been reminded often this week of what a precious gift it is year round to have wonderful friends.  Long-time friends who understand you and share your ups and downs, as well as your sense of humor and whimsy.


New friends you my have not met yet in person but with whom you share a special bond nonetheless.  Quilting, sewing, crafting, music, thrifting, collecting.  Those are just conversation starters.

Friends can give you a fresh perspective on a situation.  Sometimes it's just a subtle shift...

...but then you see things differently through them.

Friends are such a blessing, and I appreciate each one of you in so many ways. 

Thanks for visiting, friends—and stay warm!

12 comments:

Elizabeth said...

The back for the whirly-gig Christmas Quilt is super cute! Love the color!

That Winter Sunshine wall hanging is just gorgeous! The quilting is amazing and I love the colors. Isn't Michelle just the sweetest!?

And I know what you mean about friends. They are a very special gift.

xo -E

P.S. Quiltus inerruptus is a funny term. I might have to use that.

Shay said...

Brrrrr...winter looks cold.

There's a real sense of satisfaction from being able to make a quilt back fit with an only inch or two to spare (That would be after the "OMG I'm screwed" moments you have wondering if you can pull it off )

And yes friends make life completely worthwhile. Michelle's wall hanging is just gorgeous.

Try to stay warm!

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you like the Winter Sunshine wall-hanging P. :-) I had so much fun making it! You've displayed it so nicely.

When I was plotting to send you Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, I kept hoping you didn't have that CD already.

And yes friends are such a blessing. I've been very blessed this year.

Great backing for the whirlygig. That turquoise snowflake is perfect for it. Now I see why you were willing to go to all the effort for it.

Heck your weather is the about the only thing that can make ours seem better. High of 27 today, low of 7 tonight--but at least we have no snow and the sun is shining.

Keetha Broyles said...

We got 12 inches over here - - - and now we're going down into the deep freeze!

Of course I talked about the snow over at my blog - - - I'm just sooooo excited to be BACK in Wisconsin where snow is snow and stays on the ground all winter!

I don't know if those are piny sunsets or sunrises, but they are GORGEOUS.

Sarah Craig said...

Our forecast doesn't say blizzard, but from the look of the grocery store shelves, you'd think it did! One inch of snow sends Tennesseans into a tizzy....

That little quilt Michelle sent you is gorgeous!!!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Like Sarah said, Tennessee's in a tizzy over the snow:)

Love the wall hanging and good job with fitting the quilt back.

I also love those little birds in the last picture!

SueWis said...

I'm still loving the snow. I was thinking this morning that we midwesterners are a tough lot to live where we do. And that's a good thing. :)

Kathy said...

P you are the one who is a blessing to us!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I saw Michelle's post about the wall hanging and came to visit you. Love the snow photos - my daughter lives near Madison and she had a lot of snow too - which part of the state are you in? I would like a little snow - but none so far although winter is just started so still time.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

fromsophiesview said...

Sorry no snow here...just the 2nd Monday of rain and wind really high winds. Trees uprooted 100 miles away...not her thank goodness. December is such an unforgiving month on the shore! Have a good one!

MomWaldsPlace said...

I just noticed that you are here in Wisconsin. We were out in the blizzard and Hubby ended up in a pileup on Hwy 14. Maybe now he will be convinced we should move somewhere warmer. :)

Love the sunshine quilt and sunny friends!

Kristen said...

It really is a beautiful gift.

I love the pictures of the snow. I kinda miss it, but no snow here. It too funny to see 100% snow on the forecast. We get the wind here with no precipitation. It sounds like blizzard conditions, but nothing comes down.