Monday, August 1, 2011

Y'all Ready for This?

I got the kaleidoscope quilt top finished this morning.  Wa-hoo!

It's certainly an explosion of color, but I do like it (though, in all honesty, working on the final blocks over the weekend, I was beginning to fall out of love with it).  

I learned some things in making this quilt for the Kaleidoscope Quilt Along, largely as a result of frustration early on, getting some helpful advice, reworking several  of the blocks (right up until the very last one I fiddled with yesterday), as well as seeing what worked for other fellow QAL-ers.  If you haven't checked out the Flickr group for this quilt-along, you should; there's some serious eye candy over there.  It's amazing how different this quilt looks from one to the next, and beautiful in all its many variations.

I stayed with my original fabric choices instead of finding others that might up the contrast, etc.  But I think I'm going to do another one with the kit of FQs I found in my stash.  Figured I'd work up nine or so blocks to see if it achieves the look I'd like, and then go from there.  I think the second attempt may yield the effect I am looking for (i.e., making the "halos" brighter).  So until then, I will hold off on giving this one a name.

And now I need a nap!  :)

19 comments:

Larri said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS! Love it, P.! Seriously love it. Enjoy your nap. You deserve it. ☺

Shay said...

Loving it P! Very in your face with all those colours but I adore quilts that scream for attention. And every time this gets a wash it's just going to look better and better.

Great job. I always feel like rushing out for a celebratory drink when I finish a quilt top.

Sara said...

I think the halos show through nicely! I love it!!

Sarah Craig said...

I love this quilt, P.!! Makes me want to try one too! Nice work....

Diane said...

Ph my, this is gorgeous! Nice job!

thea said...

Wow! Love it. I like the circles you can see in it. It's beautiful!

Elizabeth said...

I love it! LOVE it! It is so bright and cheerful and colorful. And I can see those halos like crazy. Beautiful job!

xo -E

Miss Hillbilly said...

Oh, that is absolutely wonderful!!! Wow!!!!!!!

SueWis said...

Wow, I love it! I think it has the perfect amount of contrast. Very nice!

Jenny said...

oh P it is just perfect. nearly magical! wonderful job

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

It's a playful, happy quilt!

Jessica said...

This is so colorful and so unique! Beautiful job!

Michelle said...

Gorgeous! I know you've struggled with this top, but I really love it.

Miri said...

Fabulous! I just love this Kaleidoscope! I love the bright colors and I do see the circles...subtle but definitely there! Lots of movement!

KatieQ said...

I love your kaleidoscope top. I love the subtlety of the halos and the way the color draws your eye across the quilt. Super job!

Ivory Spring said...

Oh beautiful!

beth said...

YES! It's beautiful!

Kay Lynne said...

You get a big Wow from me. The quilt is lovely.

MomWaldsPlace said...

Ooooh, I have the loves for your kaleidoscope quilt top!