I met my goal of getting the scrappy string ring quilt top finished this week ~ woo-hoo!
Thanks to your helpful input as to how it might be finished, I went with a bit larger corner triangles (which form squares on point, in lieu of sashing), finished the outer squares into the border, did a scrappy string border, followed by more of the crosshatch fabric in an outer border. I did have just enough of the crosshatch fabric to squeak out the last border, with only inches to spare.
I am very happy with how it turned out! As to the quilting of it, you know what? I am not going to quilt this one myself. Rather, it will be packed off on a fabulous quilting vacation somewhere, destination to be determined.
It feels like there's not much more to say that hasn't already been said since I started this project early in the year. To briefly recap, the inspiration was a vintage quilt in a Gwen Marston book, noted here. The scraps used were various blues, greens, creams, reds, and grays—colors I seem to gravitate toward instinctively, as they are all around me here in the Wisconsin countryside.
I enjoyed the stress-free piecing of the string "strata." I usually made 4 different strata of strings and cut 5 wedges out of each one for a total of 20 wedges per ring. Then the fun began when reassembling the wedges into rings (Dresdens). It was always a cool surprise to see how they came back together!
It was so much fun to work with the beautiful and diverse scraps, many of them shared by friends from their stash. That makes this quilt all the more special!
Linking up with Sarah today. There's always lots of good stuff to see over there!