Monday, March 4, 2013

Tea Towel Challenge Progress

I worked yesterday and today on the Tea Towel Challenge quilt.

Tea Towel "Tess" had been patiently waiting.  Looks like she's got that part down (the waiting thing).

I had sketched out a rough idea for a design, including drunkard's path blocks, mirroring the curved elements of the central piece, the tendrils of hair, etc.  

I string pieced fabric strips onto phone book pages, using warm colors to bring out the red-orange of the tartan.

The wall hanging kit I found at Goodwill a while back had the perfect mix of fabrics to use in this project, rounded out by some men's plaid shirt fabrics and other scraps as well.

And this is how it stands so far:

I have to let it sit a bit, while I consider the next "round."  I was intending to go two deep with the DP blocks.  I have some beautiful purples I'd like to use.

12 comments:

sophie said...

Tess is looking Great! I love the string-pieced Drunkard's Path blocks--those bright colors really make her tartan wrap POP.

Allison said...

love the DP blocks!

Karen said...

Love, love, love it! Deep purple corner blocks would be great :)

Michelle said...

I love the string Drunkard's Path blocks! What a great addition. Can't wait to see what you decide to do next. :)

Shay said...

Waving at Michelle !

Wow! That's certainly a creative take on using a tea towel as a focal point. I love the DP blocks. Cant wait to see round 2 !

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is looking wonderful. I love the way you're continuing the sense of movement with those dps.

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Very creative!

SueWis said...

Love your design! Maybe it's just me but should the top and bottom face opposite ways like the two sides do? Wanted to ask before you get any farther. I don't mean it as a criticism at all, just noticed it and wondered.. The colors are gorgeous. I am really getting into brighter colors lately.

Paulette said...

Sue is right, I put the top row on wrong--thanks for letting me know! There will be some un-sewing, but better now than later!

Diane said...

Love what you are doing with this!

Lori R. said...

Beautiful! I haven't been paying quite as close attention to the blogs lately, but yours is the second one this morning where someone is working on a tea towel challenge!

Elizabeth said...

Wow. Just wow. I love how you put together colors and fabrics that work so well together. LOVE it! Your string Dresdens are amazing.

xo -E