Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sunday Sundry - Vol. 12

Skelly the Skeleton (original, eh?) has a pop quiz for you.  Please complete the following:

Q.  Ding-Dong!

A.  a)  Trick or Treat!
     b)  The witch is dead!
     c)  ...Ditch!

The correct answer is—well, Skelly says anything goes today.  Happy Halloween!

Spellbinding
I found these at a thrift store a few months ago.  Aren't the graphics fabulous?



I love vintage sewing notions, and I couldn't resist these at 79 cents.  What a "steel"!


Bound and Determined
I did get the quilt finished that I mentioned last week, but I'll do a separate post on that in a day or so.  

What I was really excited about working on this week was this scrappy spider web table topper (or wall hanging).  I've been wanting to try a spider web block, and having come across some old Halloween novelty prints in my stash recently gave me a good reason to go for it.

As a reference, I used this tutorial on Sew Mama Sew, but changed the size and used a paper foundation instead.  I cut a piece of lightweight paper into an 8.5-inch square, then cut it once on the diagonal.  I pieced four such triangular units to make one block.  Four complete blocks is all you need for this wall hanging.  It measures 22 inches square.

Unfortunately, I had a bit of a glitch in cutting the backing—I accidentally sliced into the backing fabric!

After the small cloud of blue language cleared, I did what any quilter would do and regarded the situation as a "design opportunity."  I patched it to kind of look like a doorway, and then free motion quilted a little surprise visitor dropping by.

Where was once a boo-boo, there's now just a "boo."


R.I.P.
Last Sunday afternoon, my good friend Kathy and I attended a play starring our other good friend Marie.  She had the part of Doris in The Cemetery Club, a tale of three friends whose husbands have all passed away.  It was funny, heartwarming, and very well done.

But I was kind of miffed that she didn't warn us about the sad ending.  Marie did such a wonderful job and we were so into it, loving her performance, her character Doris, and just plain her.  Then do you know what that Doris did?  She went and died in the next-to-last scene!  The nerve!  Had I known that, I'd have brought way more Kleenex (and a bouquet of flowers, which I should have done anyway, for our actress friend).  Bravo!

Thanks for visiting!  Here is my treat for you today. I was going to post ELO's "Evil Woman," but I changed my mind in favor of one I like better. Jeff Lynne still looks and sounds as great today as he did in the 1970s, doesn't he? 

Have a fun and safe Halloween!

11 comments:

Larri said...

Cute post, P.! What a fabulous Boo finish on the spider quilt. Happy Sunday! :o)

Shay said...

A bit of everything here - but all tied up with Spooky Day.

Loved the backing solution. Perfect and extremely creative and the front of the quilt looks fabulous too.

Witch pins...does that mean they're magic pins? Hmnnnnnn I'd be careful with those...

Keetha Broyles said...

I'm back in my former state, which is of course your state, and now is my state again!

Marg said...

I know that feeling when you accidentally cut fabric, although in my case it was a rogue seam ripper that did the damage to the back of my quilt, so a quick applique piece to cover it up was the solution. I love your solution with the spider, very creative and super cute, and a great backing to the scrappy spiderweb which is very effective as a Halloween quilt.
Jeff Lynne and ELO a great reminder of the 70's.

Anonymous said...

I've looked at several spider web quilts. I like the design but, being super adverse to spiders, I get a crawly feeling whenever I look at them. It's a psychosomatic thing, and I should seek therapy for it, but there are so many other reasons to be in therapy...

Elizabeth said...

I love the boo-boo that is only a boo! Very clever with the play on words there. And your table topper is awesome! I love it! I think I saw a few bits of that plaid Frolic in there. Oh, and I noticed your cute Pyrex (I presume) candy dish. Awesome.

xo -El

P.S. I've got 'Ding dong, the witch is dead' stuck in my head. Thanks for the lovely ear worm.

Elizabeth said...

P.S. I tried to counteract the Wizard of Oz song by listening to ELO, but my computer is being all glitchy and so I only made it half-way through. Still, ELO was fun. Thanks :D .

a.M. said...

Those pins are sew sew cool!

Joe said...

I got a used Roland Juno D on ebay. Lots of fun sounds in there. It makes me wish I had the time and patience for piano lessons.

Anonymous said...

Luv the Halloween quilt - too cute. lak

Miri said...

Spiderweb quilt with spiderweb quilting and Halloween fabrics published on Halloween: Skelly says "Perfect!"