Friday, January 13, 2012

Scrappy String Ring Wall Hanging

The scrappy string ring, a/k/a Dresden plate, that I made as a sample last week has become a little wall hanging.  It hangs above my computer at the moment, a fun spot on the wall!

In case you missed it, you can read how I was inspired to make this in a previous post HERE.  Although I didn't know it at the time, the subject of the second week of Sew Scraps Along was scrappy Dresdens!  Jodi at Pleasant Home linked to a tutorial at Lurline's Place, which is the same one I happened to Google when I was thinking about making my "ring."  I went very random with the strings, cut the wedges shorter, and left out the points to get the effect of the inspiration photo, but the idea is essentially the same.

The quilting is just straight-line quilting between the blades, carried out to the edge, and a little wonky spiral in the center (which I did not unpick and do over, after all; we'll call it "organic").

I used the last of my Heath stash for the background and finished the hand binding during some waiting room time with my dad earlier this week.


This weekend, I'm going to pull a pile of strings in these colors and set them aside so I can make at least one scrappy string ring like this every month.  By year's end, I should have enough for a quilt!




21 comments:

MomWaldsPlace said...

Excellent as usual. Hopefully you will share the ones you do through the year :)

Michelle said...

The wall-hanging is FANTASTIC! The background fabric you chose is perfect. Shows the piece off beautifully.

I rather like the "organic" spiral. Maybe it's because we've been talking a lot about Buddhism, karma, and the like on LiveJournal, this piece makes me think of the Wheel of Dharma.

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Organic is good:) Looks great!

Jenny said...

P. this is really really good. I love Heath as the background...is it black heath? my computer pic is making me uncertain? i really need to make one of these! or maybe a bed size full of them! and do my eyes deceive me? is that me in your google reader? :)

Unknown said...

Nice quilt you have here. Loretta and I are trying to get started with one soon. Might come back for some assistance, lol. James

Shay said...

I love the quilting on that P . I think it turned out beautifully and looks great on the wall.

PS. I love those hanger doodads you have there too!

Carla said...

Very fresh and new! Love the colors. Great work!

Diane said...

Love it! This is super cute and I love the Heath as the background.

Pattilou said...

I love your work! I got a free 10 degree tool from Cheryl Phillips she offered on her site. After seeing what you've done, I can't wait to get started! I like that it is smaller than the Christmas tree skirt Cheryl showed.

Quilting never gets boring does it?

Kristen King said...

Great job! :)

Pokey said...

It is great on that background fabric, and of course we need the polka dot binding :-} Good idea on planning to do one a month. I may join you on it...sounds like fun!
hugs, pokey

greelyrita said...

Lovely! Lovely! It would also serve well as one of those make-a-boob pieces, just smaller.

Quilter Kathy said...

Love it! I really want to try one too :)

Anonymous said...

Love it! It makes me want to make another round quilt, but scrappy!
Whoop Whoop!

Kay Lynne said...

Great job! I really like the colors!

Sarah Craig said...

P., this is so awesome - and your quilting is perfect!! Whoop whoop!!!

Elizabeth said...

P., there is nothing "organic" {in the way you mean it} about that swirl in the center! It is beautiful! Love it! Love the spokes coming out of the circle. Love the colors. Love the fabrics. Love the background. Love EVERYTHING about it!

xo -E

Miri said...

Fantastic! I love the spiral quilting in the center.

Bente-I like to QuiltBlog said...

very beautiful! Would like to try to sew a small quilt like that too.

Richard Healey said...

Nice finish. I saw this linked up on Such a Sew and Sew with my complete. So I hoped on over and am now following your blog. Great Finish.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com

Cheryl said...

It looks great, I needed some inspiration for some mini quilts