Guess I better blow the dust off the blog and show you this flimsy I finished recently.
This is one of two 16-patch and X-block quilts I've worked on in the past couple months, often known as a "Goodnight Irene" pattern. This one used a scrappy bundle of beautiful hand-dyed fabrics from Vicki Welsh.
It's about 65 inches square, a nice size for a lap quilt or throw. I still need to come up with a backing for it.
The other day, I started to pull fabrics for a Scrappy Mountain Majesties quilt, a Bonnie Hunter free pattern I've had my eye on making ever since forever, it seems.
You need lights and darks for this quilt. My light stash is pretty sketchy. I really dug to the bottom of the bins to come up with what I have here, and I'm on the fence about more than a few of them. There are two vintage fabrics in the light stack, including a feed sack. Quite the eclectic group—this ought to be interesting!
I made a sample from one of the light/dark combinations. Truly used scraps here, just had enough to squeak out a 8.5-inch square from each piece.
In a recent post at Quiltville, Bonnie talked about not pressing the seams until you had all the blocks made and laid out and ready to sew into rows. That way you can align and butt the seams the direction they need to go. Makes sense and I get it—but it's likely to drive me nuts. (FYI, the sample block seams are pressed.)
There are a lot of things I have no problem procrastinating on, but pressing blocks isn't one of them!