Saturday, September 12, 2015

Two and a Half and Some Change

In the past couple weeks, I finished two more kennel quilts, Nos. 14 and 15, and have No. 16 in the flimsy stage.  
(Kennel Quilts No. 15 and 14)
(No. 14)
(Back of No. 14)
(No. 16 flimsy)
In between those things, I also managed to baste a UFO that has been sitting around for quite a while, the Tea Towel Challenge 2014 quilt.


I attended to this task mainly because I had to open a brand new, king-sized package of batting but only needed a smallish piece for No. 15 kennel quilt.  Figured I may as well cut the batting for two things at once for economy's sake, rather than just chop a chunk out.

I think the fall colors may have had something to do with wanting to work on it, too, though.  As I spread out the backing (above) on the floor and taped it down, I fell in love with it all over again.  It's been out of sight and mind for nine months.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder, as the saying goes.  Hopefully, it won't take me that long to quilt it, but you never know.


No. 16 kennel quilt has an interesting backing too (below).  I was using the scraps of a butterfly print scrubs fabric to make HSTs and then assembled those flying geese style.  I had an odd number, though and needed one more to make the last set.  That is where the pile of scraps/trimmings came in handy.  I poked around and found just enough to create some "made" fabric for the last triangle.


Can you tell which is the "made" piece?  It's the one on the lower right.


I've had some fun thrifting recently, too.  I had a 25% off deal at Goodwill to use during the month August.  It slipped my mind until the very last day of the month, when I ventured in to see what treasures may be waiting.

How 'bout some mid-century California pottery?  Why yes, that will do, thank you.

Call them wings, paisleys, or a yin-yang dish.  Or be functionally descriptive and call them chip-and-dip trays or a lazy susan.  It's all good. Really good!

I was captivated by the color of this creamer.  Another mid-century era piece in the Rhythm pattern by Homer Laughlin. 

The code stamped on the bottom indicates this creamer was made in 1956.

A couple sweet books came home with me that day as well.

Last week, a friend of mine called to say he had found me a "Rembrandt" at a yard sale.  

Of course, he and I know that means a vintage paint-by-number, and that's a-okay with me!

What's in those baskets, do you think?  Flowers?  Bunches of radishes?  Berries or beets?  Maybe some things are meant to be a mystery!

8 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I remember that tea towel! Mine sits unfinished still. Maybe before 2016.....

Marei said...

Love it all...getting 2 more quilts done plus a flimsy; love the big flying geese for the back (and you know I love made fabric); the chip/dip set and the Rembrandt. Like you said, it's all good.

Sarah Craig said...

The Drums of Autumn is s-o-o-o-o-o good! I can't believe someone gave it up! I love all your other Goodwill finds, too - you always find the best stuff!

Kaja said...

I like your tea towel quilt a lot (I've never owned a tea towel that nice!) The colours do seem very seasonal, so hopefully you'll get it finished soon. I also like the pieced back on the kennel quilt.

audrey said...

So much fun to go thrifting.:) You are making wonderful progress on your kennel quilts!

Lara B. said...

The Tea Towel Challenge quilt would make me all enthused again too Paulette. Autumn is the perfect time to work on it.
I love that little green creamer! You've made me start noticing more thing when we see garage sales now too.
It is really amazing how many kennel quilts you have made from that pile of old scrubs.

Karen said...

That is so sweet of you to make all those doggie quilts! You know that I am also quite envious of your thrift store finds :)

Kevin the Quilter said...

You are beyond inspirational making these kennel quilts! I always love reading your posts! You make me chuckle! Love your goodwill finds! And As for the man carrying the mystery cargo........whatever it is, he had to cross a stream, roll up his pants, and get his feet really muddy to gather them!