Friday, February 24, 2012

Friday Flimsy

I managed to get the Hubcap Diamond Star Halo flimsy sewn together this week.  If you're scratching your head about the name of this little kaleidoscope quilt, it's based on a song lyric from "Bang A Gong."  I explained how it came about in the previous post (and also made a video of the trial-and-error design process).

We got a little snow yesterday, and it was still flurrying this morning when I set this 36-inch square jobber just outside the patio door and snapped some pictures.  

Snow (as in the cold and fluffy stuff this is laying on) isn't really bright white in color, is it?  Hunh.  I guess Kaufman did its research when they invented the fabric color Kona Snow.  I used Kona White in the quilt here.

It was really fun putting these colorful blocks together.  Individually, they reminded me of the tops of bright umbrellas.

And before you know it, I was mulling over how I could use the leftovers for my next quilt, based on a Led Zeppelin song lyric, entitled With a Purple Umbrella and a 50-cent Hat (from "Living Loving Maid").  Oh, go ahead and listen.  You want to know what in blazes I'm talking about, right?

Just kidding...maybe. (Could that be a "raspberry beret," that pink one? The kind you buy {for 50 cents} in a second-hand store?  Too much of a stretch?)

Not kidding about the leftovers, though.  I could make a whole 'nother quilt with the pieces I have left.  Maybe with a black background to make those brights really pop?  *Sigh*  So many quilts, so little time.

I hope you do have time to visit the Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? linky at Confessions of a Fabric Addict—P.S., she's having a giveaway—and thanks for stopping by here!

20 comments:

Michelle said...

OMG! That is SO COOL! I REALLY like it. :-) And you know what? It really does fit it's name.

Elizabeth said...

Squeee! It came out even better than the preview hinted that it would! I LOVE it! Those fabrics are fabulous and it really is the Hubcap Diamond Star Halo! Wow!

So, my coworker plays the radio at work; it is one of those internet, not commercial deals, where you select the genre and you can shuffle through different genres. Raspberry Beret was on today and I laughed and thought, "oh, no! not that earworm again!" I managed to avoid it, but now . . . I put on the Led Zeppelin to hopefully drown it out.

And umbrella tops . . . I can totally see it.

Sew many quilts, indeed! Great job!

xo -E

Christina said...

Beautiful! You have a very good eye for putting fabrics together...

MomWaldsPlace said...

Ta Da, it's together! You must have some kind of brain to be able to move those triangles around and come up with so many beautiful patterns.

Sarah Craig said...

What an awesome block!! And you chose the perfect name, for sure!!! Whoop whoop!!!

Mary said...

That is an awesome quilt with a great name!

BendingPins.com said...

Sorry for the inappropriate post P. but I couldn't find your email address.

I think you'll really enjoy this, my husband discovered it on iTunes and downloaded the album. <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY

p.s., feel free to delete this post after you've seen the video. :D

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

I don't have to click that link...I've heard it many times! The quilt top turned out great!

Sara said...

I heard ya'll were getting some white stuff up there! Makes for some magical photography doesn't it?!

Yes,yes,yes!!! Too many quilts to create!!

JanetK said...

That is a gorgeous block! And the name is a perfect match.

ThreeOldKeys said...

so ... you are taking requests, right? we send obscure lyrics and you interpret them in living color?

so many possibilities.

your quilt is BEAUTIFUL. you must have made all the right choices. it's just wonderful!

Kay Lynne said...

It looks great! There has been so much thought to the layout--thanks for sharing!

Suzanne said...

That is so magnificent! I love your bold colors and black would make it zing. Very interesting about the difference in real snow and snow white fabric. Hmmm

Diane said...

Love this block! And I am super jelous of the snow as well :)

Shay said...

Um....totally gorgeous. I love bright colour and this fits the bill perfectly!

BendingPins.com said...

Now that I'm finished sewing for the weekend, I'm back with a proper comment! Did you design that epic Hubcap Diamond Star Halo block?! WOW, it's awesome, how much fun is that?!

Miri said...

Fabulous! Glad I'm back home and didn't miss seeing this one!

Barbara said...

Gorgeous colors. I love this.

Sue Daurio said...

great colors and LOVE the pattern

The Quilting Elf said...

That's an amazing block with wonderful fabrics! I never did understand how they named Kona Snow - obviously they never read Snow White - LOL.