Monday, February 27, 2012

A Patch of Sun

I had guests yesterday, my dad and my daughter and her boyfriend, who came over for dinner.  We had good food and conversation, as always, and laughed a lot.  After the turkey kicked in and some became sleepy, my daughter and I moved to the living room where I still had the leftover kaleidoscope quilt pieces stacked in piles by color on the floor.

So we played and talked, and played some more, like when we used to put puzzles together except more randomly.  M. has a good eye and is very creative, and in no time flat, she had put the yellow and gold and white half square triangle pieces together into this configuration.  She said it reminded her of sunshine, like the patch of sun coming in the window of her apartment in which she and her cat had curled up and napped recently.

I needed to clear the floor today, but I snapped a photo so I could remember this arrangement.  Then I figured I may as well just sew it together.

My sewing room is in the basement, which is usually devoid of natural light, but at this particular time of year, the sun has moved a bit and peaks in through a small, southern facing window for a few minutes in the afternoon.  It happened to catch the squares as I had them laid out on my table.

A patch of sun, indeed.  That will be the name of this mini.  And it will remind me of the light my daughter brings whenever I see her.

Later, after everyone had gone home, my husband and I ran to Goodwill for a quick poke around.  There were a few small Pyrex pieces looking for a new home.  The smaller bowl was the perfect size for some berries at lunch today.

 Talk about sunshine, that orange piece does the trick, doesn't it?

10 comments:

Sara said...

What a wonderful story behind that yellow block:)

I am waiting for the new Goodwill to open up soon 10 minutes down the road from us. They are pokeying along suddenly:/

Unknown said...

Great Post...love the yellow dish! Yellow is such a happy color, right? Have a sun filled week! Hugs

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

That's a great arrangement! Daughters are special, huh? :)

MomWaldsPlace said...

We need all of the sunshine that we can get this time of year!

Wish I had been with you at GW that day. The black and the berries are very stylish together. Would have been nice to see those square plates.

Elizabeth said...

LOVE that sunshine block! I know where your daughter gets her talent ;).

xo -E

Shay said...

It does look like a ray of sunshine. Seems M has your eye for design too.

Those little pyrex bowls are darling...

Sharon said...

Wish I was so lucky around here to find any Pyrex at all. I really like it and would love to find some to keep the collection going. Thanks for the peak and that yellow block is great. Purple & polka dots remind me of my daughter and she wants an all polka dot quilt but don't know if that would be a good thing -- we'll see.

Teresa in Music City said...

Awww! What a sweet story and a cute, cute block. I love yellows!

Oh, and I'm your newest follower too! =^..^=

Suzanne said...

I see that I'm really behind in my responses, but this was a real pleasure to view your sunshine blocks. They really do glow. Yes, your daughter does have an excellent eye, as does her mother.

Michelle said...

Sounds like a delightful day! What fun that you and M got to play with the quilt pieces. Sunshine indeed!