Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Flimsy Whimsy

The black and white, etc. string thingy is officially a flimsy — and I want to squeal like a little girl!


Seriously, it makes me happy-happy-happy.


Save those old phone books, string thingers.  They come in handy.  Yes, you could string piece without a foundation just as well, but I like the stability and size/position guide that string piecing on paper provides.  Phone book paper is lightweight and not difficult to remove; it's like tearing out a check.


For more details on the process, skip back one post.


This ended up to be about 45 x 53 inches.  I added a one-inch stop border and a five-inch outer border (cut 1.5 and 5.5).


On my trip to JoAnn for batting yesterday, I happened to "spot" a perfect backing fabric.


Linking to:

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced



And just for the Thrill of It...the funky sound Robert Randolph gets out of a pedal steel guitar is incredible.  Have yourself a happy dance!

20 comments:

Lori R. said...

Love it .... also love that you had an idea and acted on it. Sometimes we never get beyond thinking about it! I don't have to tell yo how much I love piecing on phone book pages too!!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Awesome flimsy -- I'd be squealing, too!

http://thankfullga447 said...

Love how it turned out. I worked on a showbox of scraps and it made me happy happy to get that done.

Shay said...

Way to go - this one went together fast ! I turn my back for a week and here you are starting and finishing a top.

Love the red border too- it adds a real pop of lovely colour .

Way to go Ms. Smarty Pants.

Julianne said...

BEAUTIFUL!

Lorna McMahon said...

Fabulous flimsy! And great find for the backing! Love the whole thing!

Karen said...

I share in your love! This is perfect with that red border!!

Frances Meredith said...

I like the multi coloured print you added in the strings, it makes it really special.

Maggie said...

I love this so much!

Elizabeth said...

Who knew a steel guitar could sound like that?!

And I love that pretty red outer border. I think it is just the right touch to really set off the checkered pieces. This is a really fun quilt! It is awesome when a plan comes together so well!

xo -E

Kevin the Quilter said...

P for PERFECT! It really looks great, and that backing fabric couldn't be better. I love it when an idea comes to fruition!

Dina said...

How could you not have a little squee time? Beautiful!

Pam @ Quilting Fun said...

Love your quilt. I looked back to see the original black and white, very awesome. Love the quilting.

Tessa said...

Love!!!!!

Sarah Craig said...

Awesome!!! And those little multi-colored pieces were genius!

Kim said...

I can hear your squeals of delight all the way down here at the bottom of the world!! Beautiful quilt!! I will have to look into this piecing on the pages of a telephone book caper...sounds intriguing!!

Sue Daurio said...

great flimsy! And LOVE LOVE LOVE the backing fabric!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

I see why you love it! Great backing fabric, too.

Phone book pages....I'd forgotten about that!

MomWaldsPlace said...

Spot?!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This flimsy is fab! Definitely worthy of a squeal or two :)