Monday, September 16, 2013

Leftovers and Fresh Ingredients

I love leftovers.  Scraps seem to hold such creative potential.  Maybe it has to do with the inherent limits of scraps (size, quantity, finding what works with what, vintage, out of print, etc.).  Then again, maybe they're fun because the pressure is off, having used the larger piece for its intended purpose, so what's left is free to play with.

And play is what it's all about.


That's what I did with the leftovers from the Little Bitty Batty mini from the previous post.  First, I made a 6 x 4-inch postcard for the Pet Postcard Challenge at 15 Minutes Play.  A little bitty birdie.

In hindsight, I guess I could have made the bird green, like the parakeets I've had as pets through the years, but that's another postcard.  Maybe it's a baby myna bird, like the one they used to have in a cage at the back of the department store when I was growing up.  It could say hello and a few other phrases.  Talk about a great way to occupy the kids while mom shopped.


I also made some spool-type blocks from more of the triangular strip pieced bits left over.  One ended up pretty matchy with the points and the others are wonkier.  Not sure what I'll do with them, but there they are.

On Saturday, we took a little drive to visit a quilt shop I hadn't been to before but had heard good things about, Mill House Quilts.  It was wonderful!  Friendly staff, nicely organized, and all sorts of fabric.


There was one room of just batiks and a bargain room, where I found all of these, with the exception of the two blue pieces.



 
I've noticed a lack of blue in the stash, as in pretty much nothing that's true blue (not aqua or turquoise).  That was fixed.
I could have spent a lot more time (and moola), had I not a husband in tow.  Try as I might to enlist his assistance in finding certain colors, he, too, was easily distracted by shiny things.  But he was helpful in giving the nod of approval (or not) to the bolts I held under his gaze, though he did ask a few times, "Do you have a plan for that?"

And I laughed and laughed and laughed.  

Just kidding, I didn't laugh (on the outside).  "Oh, I'll use it," I said.  Translation:  Not exactly, and what's your point?

Okay, I do see the advantage of having a game plan, but this was mostly a scouting mission.  Next time, maybe, I'll have a list.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh so much quilty goodness in this post! I love your little blackbird. :)

Plan? Since when do we need a plan for quilting? Besides, in my experience, quilting plans get changed, so no point in making one in the first place! :D

Kim said...

All that playing with your little bitty bird looks like you had heaps of fun!! 'Tis very cute!! Discovering new quilt shops and acquiring new fabric for one's stash is always sooooo much fun!! 'Tis what puts a spring in our step and a smile on our dial!! Why oh why don't husbands comprehendo! ;)

Lorna McMahon said...

Cute bird! I love the bit of quilting you did around him. What a great way to use some scraps and enjoy a bit of relaxing time spent just creating for the sake of creating!

Sarah Craig said...

You're supposed to have a PLAN for fabric??????????

Shay said...

You need to educate Norm on the point of a fabric stash ..its not to use the fabric ...it's to collect fabric that you MIGHT use one day.

Love your new purchases...that Sandy Gervais in particular is lovely!

Very cute bird. Love quilted art cards ...I need to make a few myself I think!

MomWaldsPlace said...

OMWord, I did not realize you had not been to Mill House. Well it is about time! Yay for Norma for making an effort, or at least trying to fake it.

Julie said...

Sounds like a dangerous place to visit if you have lots of $$. Did hubby get inspired by shiny new sewing machines?

Kevin the Quilter said...

Nice fabric finds! And, I love your postcard! Cool!

Elizabeth said...

I love your creativity. The blocks you made from your leftover bat mini are so cute! I love those colors.

And speaking of things I love, that little postcard is SO cute. I love that black fabric (also used on the bats ;) and the swirly quilting around the bird is so pretty!

I love your new stash fabrics, too! So pretty. Lots of awesome going on around here!

xo -E