As I was tidying up the sewing space the other day, I popped the lid on a box of black and white scraps left over from the black and white quilt of 2011 that I recently finished. I'd been meaning to make a string quilt from these at some point, but as I picked through the box, I noticed that a lot of the pieces were fairly short. So my original idea of string piecing them on the diagonal went swiftly out the window (the thought of sewing a lot of strings together end to end in order to make them long enough to string piece diagonally was not appealing).
However, I could just string piece them straight across a foundation, like onto a 7x11 inch phone book page. Then I'd have rectangles I could join together vertically, coin quilt style.
So I set about doing that. Long rows of only black and white seemed kind of boring, though, and as it happened, I had a scrap of the multicolored print from a recent quilt lying next to the cutting table. What if I used that print between the rectangles to break things up? And to set it off a bit more, how about bordering the top and bottom of the multi print with a strip of white?
Thus was the new plan hatched.
I was able to get 16 string pieced rectangles from the box of black and white scraps. Then it came time to remove the papers, a task best done while watching or listening to something interesting for an hour or so.
I arranged the rectangles into rows with a solid vertical sashing between them—and I did not like it. So I took away the sashing and just butted the vertical columns together against themselves, staggering the multicolored inserts. Better.
Now I'm in the process of sewing the rows together. I will end up with five rows across, a squarish shape measuring 30-something inches. I may do an outer border (or two), or I may just bind it as is.
I hope those of you in the U.S. are having a relaxing Labor Day. Hubs actually has to work today, poor guy. Someone's gotta make the cheese (literally and, I suppose, figuratively).